Sign in with
Your question

Thermalright ultra 120 extreme case heating issues

Last response: in CPUs
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
August 17, 2009 5:15:39 AM

Hi,

I am planning to replace a Zalman 7700 heatsink/fan with a thermalright ultra 120 extreme and have 2 concerns about case heating.

a) Will the large tower of the thermalright lead to higher case temps because it could slightly block the airflow?

b) while the Zalman 7700 fan faces the motherboard, the thermalright fan is attached to the tower and I am concerned the motherboard won't get as much air cooling - can this be a problem? My cpu is the pentium 4 3.6, which puts out a lot of heat, and I'm concerned about having higher case temps with this heatsink switch.

Thanks!

August 17, 2009 5:29:01 AM

same as the zalman for that cpu in tems of case heat, cpu may run cooler, but i would nto waste $. if your case was fine before, should be ok now.

p.s. if you get an overclocked core i7, then you may have heat problems, but otherwise you will not
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
August 17, 2009 6:13:40 AM

Thanks messerchmidt,

One snag is that I have to at a minimum put on new paste and replace the 7700 fan. The cpu is 82 degrees at idle - was mid 70's 4 years ago. Also the fan bearing is starting to squeak and I couldn't find a replacement fan online that will fit in the Zalman.

So the choice would be to buy a replacement 7700, or go with a different cooler - like the t.r.u.e. I am concerned about having worse air circulation with the thermalright and the components near the cpu socket not getting cooled enough with no top-down fan on them. Could that be a problem?

Also as long as I have to replace the heatsink, would putting in a new cpu make any sense? I have an older system: asus p5ad2-e-premium board with a pentuim 4 3.6. What concerns me is the p4 3.6 is a very hot chip and contributing to higher case temps - I had a heating shutdown not long ago from the graphics card being too hot.

Thanks
Related resources
a c 172 à CPUs
August 17, 2009 6:20:40 PM

I have a TRUE cooling a Q9550 OC'd to 3.6 GHz in an Antec 900 case. I have seen no sign of case heating. The exhaust air is less than 5 C above ambient. Of course, a 900 is very good at moving air through a case. :D 
August 17, 2009 10:34:59 PM

So long as you have an exhaust fan located in the traditional place (above/next to your I/O panel) you shouldn't have a problem with case heating.
a b à CPUs
August 17, 2009 10:47:30 PM

I agree, the Thermalright ultra 120 is efficient at cooling the motherboard too. As long as you put a decent 120 fan on there, you should have no case temp issues. But as someone pointed out, it depends on your case air flow as well.
August 17, 2009 11:58:42 PM

jsc said:
I have a TRUE cooling a Q9550 OC'd to 3.6 GHz in an Antec 900 case. I have seen no sign of case heating. The exhaust air is less than 5 C above ambient. Of course, a 900 is very good at moving air through a case. :D 

uh yahh no joke man. i cant wait to upgrade to the 900, my sunbeam transformers is waay to big for travel.
!