Why does my computer require ecc ram?

dvdfst

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2009
But my computer manufacturer recommends ecc, not non-ecc. Why is my Geforce 6100 am2 different from every other Geforce 6100 am2? Is it the way it is wired or is it the way the BIOS is set up or something? I'm just curious. Thanks for all of your help.

dvdfst

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2009
According to a label inside the case, the RAM has been upgraded. It says 512MB and the computer when I bought it had a 1GB card. (I bought it used from a small repair shop). When I contacted customer support to determine how to upgrade, that's when I found out about the ECC deal. I found one place that even had it. (Memory Ten) and it's only $25 a card, but it was a pain to find. Sorry about the rambling. By the way, it is a Systemax with an AMD Athlon 64 processor 3500+. It seems to work with either one, ECC or non-ECC. That's why I was wondering what else may be different besides the RAM? What other things must be changed in the computer architecture to make ECC work? Anyway, thanks so much for everybody's help and patiemce.

dvdfst

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2009

I am runnig an AMD Athlon 64 processor 3500+ on a Biostar Geforce 6100 AM2 motherboard. The manual states "registered DIMM and non-ECC DIMM is not supported". So what else has been changed to either the hardware or the software from a normal computer of this type to make it 'error correcting'? Or is this probably just a typo? The manual from Biostar seems to be the same except for the ECC part. I really do appreciate your patience with me and your insight.I probably should just forget about it, it probably doesn't really matter. It obviously seems to work both ways. thanks again, I'm just intrigued about the whole thing.