SSD now HDD for storage?

echod

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2010
I got a OCZ V2 120gb and am loving it.
I got a samsung f3 1tb as well and have it plugged into my SATA 2 port.

I was wanting to use the samsung as my storage drive but when I pull up my computer it only shows my SSD???

Obviously I'm missing something. I can see my samsung in BIOS but not in windows?

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Solution
Er, well what's your OS? In Windows you can usually set it to back up specific drives... I would personally create a separate partition in your HDD and set Windows to back up your C: drive and the other partition of your HDD into that partition.

echod

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2010

I haven't manually installed drivers for it if that's what you're asking.
How do I check?

I can see the samsung when i go into properties under the SSD > Hardware

Shows it there but not in my computer.

I can get a SS of the bios if needed.

echod

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2010
Well it was a brand new HDD didn't realize you couldn't set it up through BIOS or the startup (or if you can I couldn't see it) but anyways went to device management and found out how to initialize it and get it going.

Since most of these guides turning off any type of backup can you setup your storage HDD as a target for backup? I really don't ever do a backup anyways just thought it may come in handy some day.

9t9redballoons

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2010
Er, well what's your OS? In Windows you can usually set it to back up specific drives... I would personally create a separate partition in your HDD and set Windows to back up your C: drive and the other partition of your HDD into that partition.

Solution

echod

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2010

I have W7 64 bit. My c: drive is my SSD and everything i've read says to turn any type of backup off on a SSD.

I have read about doing seperate partitions with a HDD? One for larger files such as movies or w/e and then the other just for small files.

Any thought's on that? Thanks for all your help in advance.

9t9redballoons

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2010
Why would you need separate partitions for big and small files..?

I mean, you definitely could, but all you really have to do is set where to keep your actual Documents and Video folders (for example). The way Windows 7 does it is that you can keep those folder links where they usually are (C:\Users\echod\Video), but set it to store the actual files in a different location (A:\Videos). It's not really necessary to create separate partitions unless that's really how you prefer to organize your files, but it's just as efficient to have separate folders.

If that doesn't make sense, I personally keep all my Videos, Pictures, Documents, and all that stuff in their own folders in my hard drive so they don't take up space in my boot drive. I didn't have to create separate partitions for them.

I'm assuming they say to turn off backup so you don't keep writing files to your SSD, which decreases its lifespan. I don't see anything wrong with backing up your SSD files on a hard drive though. Just go to your Windows search bar and type "partition", and you should see a result saying "Create and format hard disk partitions". That should allow you to create a separate partition to keep your back up on (in your HDD of course, not your SSD), though even that's unnecessary, because I'm pretty sure you can keep your backup in a folder in your HDD's main partition too.

Hope that helps.

fried rice

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2010
If you haven't solved the problem already, I have the exact same setup and faced the same issue following my build. You have to use Disk Management to format the drive before it will show up in My Computer, even if it is recognized in BIOS and in the Device Manager. Simple fix.