Removing Windows 8 Developer Preview

mw2fan

Distinguished
May 4, 2011
Hi guys!

I need your help with a problem for my Windows 7 PC.
I had Windows 7 SP1 x64 installed, when it came to my attention that there was a Windows 8 Developer Preview.
I was eager and didn't really read into it, so I just installed it, with the *'Keep all my files and settings' option enabled.
After it had installed, I came to the conclusion that I found it to be an extremely annoying OS.
I rebooted my computer in hopes of seeing the OS selection menu you get when you dual boot, but it just loaded right up.
I looked for a '*Restore to windows 7' option, and didn't find anything.
My C: drive still contains my Windows.old folder, including all my old files.
So my question is: Is there a way to switch back to windows 7? I read some stuff about doing a complete format and reinstalling windows 7 again, which is something I would try to avoid at all costs, seeing the amount of stuff I have on there.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks in advance,

-Mark

Hello mw2fan;

I think this is going to be a frequent question around here.
And unfortunately there isn't going to be any easy answer.

The Windows 8 Developer Preview is a pre-beta, early look, and only meant for developers to have a look around, do some testing to see if their own software needed tweaking, etc. Or maybe start work on Win8 software packages.
So there isn't any easy roll-back to Win 7 option built in.

But have a look at this earlier topic: How to uninstall Windows 8 Developer Preview
Check the first and last posts first, and then you can look at the ones in between if you want.