Sign in with
Your question

Case fans not spinning after boot or resume from sleep

Last response: in Overclocking
March 14, 2011 12:32:38 PM

Hey guys, I'm completely in over my head here.

I have an OC'd computer that I bought on eBay (new) 18 months ago. It's been running with the SYSTIN temp reporting about 100c ever since I got it. Since I could feel nothing that hot and the temp was only 2c responsive to the side covers being on or off, I assumed it was just incorrectly calibrated and ignored it. A few days ago, I decided I wanted to add more disk drives and thought I should really track down that temp issue before I put more heat into the case and starting poking around. So I installed CPUID HW Monitor, Speed Fan and Asus Probe II and did a bunch of other stuff like:
Enabled the CPU and Chassis Q-Fan control in the BIOS, Sprayed insides with compressed air, Fooled around with SpeedFan Advanced Options.

So, yesterday, I noticed that all three of my case fans weren't spinning. I also found that if I nudged each of them with my finger, they started spinning again. But after sleep or power up, they aren't spinning any more and have to be nudged again to restart. I don't know if I broke the fans with the compressed air, if I screwed up something when I changed the BIOS, if I screwed up something with Speed Fan or if the fans never worked properly and I just never noticed, BLEH!

I really don't fully understand the stuff in the BIOS or SpeedFan that I changed and I know I shouldna, but I did. Please help! (sorry this is so long)

Case: COOLER MASTER Storm Scout w 3 fans
Mobo: Asus P6T Deluxe
CPU: i7 920 core OC'd to 3.6GHz,
CPU cooler: Zigmatek 1283
PS: Coolmax 750W CUL-750B

a c 241 K Overclocking
March 14, 2011 6:28:31 PM

Check Power management setting , and then click on
Power O ptions.
Chose “High Performance”, then
Change plan”, make sure the “Put Computer to
Sleep” is set to “Never”, then click “Advanced Power
Options”, scroll down to “Hard Disk” expand the
view, the see the setting. Click the “Setting” and run
the counter down to “Never”.
Click “Apply”, then ok, then “Save” if it’s highlighted,
then reboot.
m
l
March 14, 2011 6:41:15 PM

Thanks for the reply, but I'm the one that puts my computer into sleep mode.

Yes I could leave my computer on 24/7, but I think the solution is to find out first if the problem is hardware (fans are broken / wired incorrectly) or software and then try to fix the problem.

I'm so hardware illiterate, I don't even know how to make that first check!
m
l
Related resources
March 14, 2011 10:28:26 PM

More info:

On power up (this happens as soon as the power supply comes on) the 3 fans all jerk slightly in the forward direction as if they got a burst of power, but it wasn't sufficient to overcome the magnetic field.
m
l
a c 147 K Overclocking
March 15, 2011 12:12:18 AM

Sounds like they not getting enough voltage ....a common occurrence with some fans and BIOS fan control. Turn off Q-fan for the chassis fans.
m
l
March 15, 2011 12:46:24 AM

JackNaylorPE said:
Sounds like they not getting enough voltage ....a common occurrence with some fans and BIOS fan control. Turn off Q-fan for the chassis fans.

Thanks for the reply! That helps me understand what Q-fan does and now I see that was a good guess. So I disabled the Q-fan, but no joy - the fans still just jerk when the power goes on. So, now what I did to BIOS is ruled out.

Is it possible that SpeedFan is doing this? Can anything SpeedFan does persist after a re-boot? But, I carefully read the SpeedFan guide and I think I understand it now. So, even though it's not running, I have it set on minimum speed and maximum speed for all fans at 100%.

So, if those two possibilities are ruled out, that leaves only that the fans are broken, or they are wired incorrectly (true?). I read somewhere that they might behave this way if they were wired to 5v instead of 12v. Could this be the problem? I know zip about computer voltages and wiring. What might I look at to explore this possibility?
m
l
February 28, 2012 11:02:09 PM

What's happening is that your fans are getting enough voltage to keep them running but not enough to start them up. When your comp returns from sleep, Speedfan is already running and the fans never get that brief period of full-tilt fun that gets them started at boot-up. Hence, they just sit there and struggle (which is bad for your fans, BTW).

As far as I know, Speedfan can't be automated to give fans a momentary boost to get them spinning again, so you'll have to do it manually every time your computer wakes up. Annoying, I know, but your only other options are to buy better fans or boost the minimum speed.
m
l
February 29, 2012 1:26:03 AM

Irrelevant said:
What's happening is that your fans are getting enough voltage to keep them running but not enough to start them up. When your comp returns from sleep, Speedfan is already running and the fans never get that brief period of full-tilt fun that gets them started at boot-up. Hence, they just sit there and struggle (which is bad for your fans, BTW).

As far as I know, Speedfan can't be automated to give fans a momentary boost to get them spinning again, so you'll have to do it manually every time your computer wakes up. Annoying, I know, but your only other options are to buy better fans or boost the minimum speed.

Sorry, I didn't update this thread (It's almost a year old now) - I didn't get any help here, but did on another forum, so I abandoned this forum. What happened was I had to bite the bullet and come up to speed on power supplies, fans and wiring. The circumstances were: I brought my computer in for repair and got suckered into a power supply "upgrade" that was really a downgrade and was installed incorrectly for alll my case fans. I took the new PS out and put my old PS back in (wired as it was supposed to be) and everything worked fine. I got a refund from the ashat that sold it to me.

- Dan
m
l
!