Odd RAM reporting, may be nothing.

teh_tourist

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2010
Well I've got 8GB G-Skill ripjaws DDR3 1600 and I ran 3Dmark this morning, when looking through my 3Dmark results I noticed that it reports my RAM is 667Mhz which is wrong... right?

I haven't done anything manually to my RAM settings in BIOS, I have an ASUS P8P67 Deluxe motherboard and I let it automatically overclock my i7-2600K to 4.6Ghz. Is there something wrong with my RAM?

Solution
Probably not, most DDR3 RAM is 1333 MHz (you double the 667MHz reading you have). G. Skill says your RAM will run successfully at 1600MHz, but you will likely have to make manual adjustments in the BIOS to exceed the default 1333MHz.

To achieve higher speed, e.g. 1600MHz, you use either the RAM's XMP profile if it is available in your motherboard's BIOS settings, or you manually set the speed, voltage, and latencies in your BIOS, using the settings on the RAM's labels.
Probably not, most DDR3 RAM is 1333 MHz (you double the 667MHz reading you have). G. Skill says your RAM will run successfully at 1600MHz, but you will likely have to make manual adjustments in the BIOS to exceed the default 1333MHz.

To achieve higher speed, e.g. 1600MHz, you use either the RAM's XMP profile if it is available in your motherboard's BIOS settings, or you manually set the speed, voltage, and latencies in your BIOS, using the settings on the RAM's labels.

Solution