PPC-Webcam interface

August 19, 2005 4:05:57 AM

Is there an easy way to interface a webcam to a PocketPC?

More about : ppc webcam interface

Anonymous
August 19, 2005 4:05:58 AM

Assuming you are wanting to take something like a Logitech QuickCam and hook
it to a PPC...No. First if it would require that the PPC have a USB Host
port, which only a few do. Then There would need to be software for the PPC
that can interface with the camera and drivers for the camera. I wouldn't
swear that doesn't exist, but I highly doubt it. Certainly the Web cam OEMs
aren't supplying it.

You can however get both CF and SD cameras for PPCs. Veo Travelers are
popular.

--
Sven
MVP - Mobile Devices
"Hy CSK" <on5wv@RadioLink.net> wrote in message
> Is there an easy way to interface a webcam to a PocketPC?
Anonymous
August 19, 2005 4:43:26 AM

On Fri, 19 Aug 2005 00:05:57 +0200, Hy CSK <on5wv@RadioLink.net>
wrote:

>Is there an easy way to interface a webcam to a PocketPC?

http://research.microsoft.com/~jiangli/portrait/

Cheers - Neil
August 19, 2005 2:01:38 PM

Thanks for the reference.
A further problem is that the camera should be at a certains distance
from the PPC. A Bluetooth transmission would be fine. I wonder if
this can be done with a CF-camera.
The idea is to check a moving part in an aircraft, which cannot be
seen from the cockpit while in flight. Of course, another small
monitor could be added, but the instrument board is already quite
crowded...

Hy

On Fri, 19 Aug 2005 00:43:26 GMT, "Neil Smith [MVP Digital Media]"
<neil@nospam.com> wrote:

>On Fri, 19 Aug 2005 00:05:57 +0200, Hy CSK <on5wv@RadioLink.net>
>wrote:
>
>>Is there an easy way to interface a webcam to a PocketPC?
>
>http://research.microsoft.com/~jiangli/portrait/
>
>Cheers - Neil
Anonymous
August 19, 2005 11:56:16 PM

Of course, another small
> monitor could be added, but the instrument board is already quite
> crowded...

And there is a PPC on it that can be dedicated to watching the part? I think
you might be better of with the dedicated monitor. You can get small
monitors designed for car headrests for around $150
(http://www.mp3playerstore.com/stuff_you_need/special/in...) or get a
small LCD TV that has a video in. Then look at the X-10 or Swann (
http://www.pricegrabber.com/search.php?form_keyword=Swa... )
cameras. These output analog video. I'd stick with cable. I think you'll
wind up with a better system.

--
Sven
MVP - Mobile Devices