MSI twin frozr 560 ti (fermi) Overclocking

heycoa

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2011
Hello!

I would like to overclock my video card and i would like some expert advice.
I have a MSI twin frozr 560 to (fermi) card with stock voltage at 1015, core clock 880, shader clock 1760, and memory clock 2100.
I would like to know what voltage i should use to get this card to 1 GHz, (Safely please). also how high can my shader clock go?

Thank you

Toxxyc

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2011
1GHz on this card is a bit of a stretch. Seeing as how you are already running at 880MHz (which is very high, TBH) you aren't going to go much further.

In the newest version of MSI Afterburner, when you unlock the core voltage, it allows you to press it to a certain maximum. The GTX460's becomes unstable at around 950MHz with the core voltage maxed out in Afterburner, so I'd suggest you don't try to reach 1GHz. Shader clock is double the core clock (by default), and I'd suggest you don't mess with it. Also the memory clock isn't worth upping, so don't even try it (they don't have decent enough cooling anyhow).

I have the MSI GTX460 Cyclone, and I've reached 925MHz with the stock voltage (unstable as hell). I haven't tried upping the voltage yet, but I don't intend to. The performance increase I noticed between the 800MHz I'm running at now and the 900MHz I got with stock voltages (ran more or less stable) isn't worth the worries about temperature, stability and things as such.

I'd suggest you just leave the card as is, 880MHz is very high already. Memory clock is high too (mine is set to 1900MHz), so you'll get basically best performance.

Before you try to OC, make sure your load temps are ok. Run FurMark with GPU Shark open in the background for 10 minutes and see what maximum temps your GFX card reaches as it is now. FurMark is free AFAIK, small and very easy to use. Run it at it's maximum resolution with AA set to 8x and see what happens. You don't want to OC with an already hot card, although I think the TwinFrozr works macigally on the GTX460 GPU. Best be safe though. Post your current idle temps and maximum temps after the test here plox, so we can have a looksie!

heycoa

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2011
Furmark will not allow me to run it at 1080p, however when i run it at 720p max settings, my temps never exceed 70 degrees. Also i kinda lied about core clock, I have it set to 970, and that works stable (as far as i know). My idle temps on the card are usually close to 30.

phenom-opteron

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
i run my GTX 460 twin frozer @900Mhz with the shader clock @1800 with the memory @ 1100 and it seems to run stable no overheating and all is good the gtx560 / gf114 is the the same as the gtx460 they were just able to unlock the extra SM engine and activate the extra cuda cores the gtx460 or better known as gf-104 is where it is for the money the fg-114 is the improved version of the gf-104with the card in that condition i get 60FPS just cause 2 i say you should push that card and see what it can do just watch the heat.... please re post some of your results i am not going to buy another gpu card until i see what the gtx590 yields... after i wrote this i thought i should reset the card to the stock settings and then run the bench mark again and on the concrete jungle i get around 42 fps i say that is a pretty good bump overclocked i get 60 on the concrete jungle in just cause 2....

Bump up the voltage you cannot go to far afterburner won't let you i think you get all of .3 volts anyway it will be fine. Like the others said watch temp this card should not get over 80C it would not hurt it most can handle 100C for little bit but under 80 is a good rule. And to that other guy 1ghz is not a stretch on the 560 quite the norm to get this speed. not sure i would run mine so close to the edge but most will do it from what i read.

Thently

phenom-opteron

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
it's not about what i would like to see as the chip is diffrent on every card even cards of the same make and model it is what you want to see as TOXXYC said stock is good for him he dosent want to push it i run my card that way all day every day i like to play games and watch movies at the same time and also something to consider is that i buy a new card every year and i never run SLI my mobo does not support it because it is an amd platfourm so for me i like to get the most out of my card your card runs at 880 with with a few more cuda cores if it was mine i would try to push it to 950/960 and max out the extra cuda cores and see what it can do read the article below it has a lot of good info if this is a card you plan to keep for a long time and mabey sli latter then you should be good to it.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/nvidia-geforce-gtx-560-ti-gf114,2845.html

heycoa

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2011
wait, i have amd mobo also. i didnt realize that amd mobos did not allow for sli. but like i said, it is running at 970 mhz. toxxyc said that its not worth bumping up memory because it doesnt have proper cooling, but i have twin frozr from msi, there is a heatsink/fan on the memory, so could i safely bunp up memory?

phenom-opteron

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
not all amd mobos are like that i should clarify most AMD boards support crossfire since AMD owns ATI but there are few boards if any left that support sli at least for ASUS and MSI which is the only brand i will use due to the awesome tech support of both company's you just need to check the specs of your board which board do you have

Lian

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2010
^Does anyone even understand what a hell your saying? Because I sure as hell don't. Learn to use . and ,'s please...

Back onto topic.

Did you say you got 980 on stock voltages? Thats a bit of a stretch dont you think?

jordan009

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2010

What about gigabyte?

Toxxyc

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2011

Hmm that's not entirely impossible. I'm guessing he didn't stress the GPU though, as it's quite impossible on stock voltages. Anything over 950 would require max voltages for stability, but it would be possible to get 950 without voltage tweaking for short periods of time without stressin the GPU at all. My GTX460 I set to 985 once at stock voltages, and I could actually save it that way, and it only went coocoo once I tried doing something on the PC. In idle it worked fine.

But I agree, 980 is HIGH at any length, even with max voltages, but I've seen 500-series cards reaching 1100MHz, so it's not impossible... :)