Sign in with
Your question

Weird problem or simple fix? -external hard drive

Last response: in Storage
January 7, 2011 1:35:04 AM

I purchased an external hard drive and it works when it is connected to my desktop computer. However when i remove it and try to connect it to another pc or laptop I cannot access the hard drive. When I try to open it, instead of pulling up all the files that are saved on the disks, it says that the hard drive needs to be formatted.

When I plug it back into my desktop it begins to work again.

This is a recent problem, I have been able to connect it to my brothers laptop before that holds vista and it worked. now it will not.

I am currently using windows 7 32-bit
My hard drive is a LaCie 1TB external hardrive.

Thanks for any advice that might be given to correct my issue.

only thing that I want to make you aware of, that really the only change that I made to the drive was "bitlocker"

I am kind of ignorant about this feature that is built into windows 7. I thought all it would do would ask for a password when someone would access it. Alot of financial are on it as well, so if it was lost/stolen I want to make sure that it is safe.

Is this what is causing my problem? is there a work around?

thanks in advance.
a b G Storage
January 7, 2011 3:30:39 AM

Bitlocker is only available with Windows 7 Ultimate. Do you have this version of Windows?
m
l
January 7, 2011 12:23:18 PM

electrontau said:
Bitlocker is only available with Windows 7 Ultimate. Do you have this version of Windows?

Yes. that seems to be the case. Is bit locker, what is causing my issue?
m
l
Related resources
a c 375 G Storage
January 7, 2011 1:22:42 PM

Yes, I think bit-locker is causing the problem. Try disabling bit-locker and then try it on the PC's it's currently not working on.

Bit-Locker is only available on windows 7 so I don't think other OS's can read it. On a win 7 machine, it should ask for the password.
m
l
January 7, 2011 1:57:51 PM

Hawkeye22 said:
Yes, I think bit-locker is causing the problem. Try disabling bit-locker and then try it on the PC's it's currently not working on.

Bit-Locker is only available on windows 7 so I don't think other OS's can read it. On a win 7 machine, it should ask for the password.

By any chance, do you know any walk-thru's that would be able to assist me on this? I right clicked the drive to enable "bitlocker" but I cant right click to disable it. Looks like I need to find this feature elsewhere. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.
m
l
!