4670 Fan not spinning

mustacheman8

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2008
Let me start out by saying that I've owned this MSI Radeon 4670 for about 6 months now and it's treated me well. Normally idles at about 37 C, and never goes above 65 C.

I bought Far Cry 2 not too long ago, and was disappointed by the low FPS I was getting, as well as the red-blue-green color effects on much of the landscape. I searched the problem and found that other users had the same issue as well, and ATI had a hotfix available for it.

I downloaded the hotfix drivers, but the video card's fan stopped working. I didn't notice the fan before I installed it, so I don't know if it was the drivers or if my fan just died. I took out the video card to clean it, hoping the cleaning would do it some good. It was covered with quite a bit of hair and dust...which may have killed the fan. I popped the card back in, and the fan still didn't work. In device manager I uninstalled the card, then I uninstalled all the drivers. Tried to reinstall the drivers from the included MSI CD, and they did, but Catalyst Control Center did not install as it had the first time (which I found odd). I downloaded CCC, and the fan still isn't working. Using CCC's Manual Fan Control does nothing, but it is important to mention that the MSI version of CCC included on the disc never had a fan control included. I had never been able to change the fan speed before.

So now the fan still doesn't work, and the video card is idling at around 48 C without any videos or games running. I need some help here...how can I test to make sure the fan is dead? Or maybe I made some error with the drivers?

Pretty much ALL video cards run there fan full speed on startup(Even if just for a short time). So if during the post screen(The first screen that lists your cpu, memory and all that good stuff) if its not spinning, you have a problem.

If you can RMA it, do so. if not, you may want to look for another aftermarket fan, You do not need much to cool that card.

About the Farcry 2 performance and colorful fun. That card is a value card, so keep the settings to the med to low end of things. As far as the colors, what temps did it reach?

Guess they don't make em like they used to. My old X1900XT had total fan failure(Software glitch) and was running for hours(Games at 119c) with no crashes at all :)

mustacheman8

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2008
I decided the fan died.

The Far Cry 2 performance should have been much better than it was, though...ATI cards had driver issues before the hotfix. I've seen benchmarks of a 4850 before and after the hotfix, getting 38 and 70 FPS on average respectively.

The colors had nothing to do with the temps, it was drivers. The card is quite stable, even without the fan. I have no idea how hot it has been running in games, since I havn't done so after noticing the fan died. It's very possible that it's been dead for days and I just havn't noticed until now.

So I guess I have a new question...I need a new after market heatsink/fan, and my video card uses a 4-pin connector. Would a 2-pin or 3-pin connector work?

in most cases, yes. you just need to know what pins the card uses for power and just ignore the speed sensing and pwm pins for 2 pins and the pwm for 3 pin fans.

I do not know how the card reacts to this, it may be better to just let your psu handle the fan and run it at full blast if its not loud.