Old hard drive crashes and restarts in new computer?

krustbox

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2011
My brother just bought a new computer and gave me his old one. So i took my hard drive out of my old computer and put it into the new one. It gets to the windows vista "loading bar" screen and after about 5-10 seconds when it should continue to start up a blue screen flashes for a micro second and then the computer restarts. The next time it asks to start in safe mode (which also doesn't work) or to start windows normally and the process happens again with the quick blue screen flash and restart. As far as i know the hard drive is hooked up correctly. AFter all it sees the drive and tries to load it. I've also tried a different drive which successfully laoded, but it's not my main drive. I thought maybe the drive had crashed but after plugging it back into my old computer it worked fine. So does anyone know what could cause this blue screen flash and crash restart right after the windows vista loading bar sceen? Any help would be appreciated!

D

Deleted member 217926

You have to do a fresh install when changing the OS from one computer to another. You cant just move the hard drive and expect it to work.

D

Deleted member 217926

windows completeltly changed environments. It needs a fresh install to work with the new hardware.

D

Deleted member 217926

Even with identical hardware you would be lucky for Windows to work changing from one box to another without at least a repair install.

Look at it this way, your old hard drive had drivers and such unique for your old motherboard, graphics, sound, etc. when you moved it to a "new" machine, all that was wrong and when Windows tried to start, it couldn't find the hardware that it was expecting, and therefore you got the BSOD. :cry:
At the very least, you would probably have had to re-activate your windows installation. :heink: