Computer Randomly Shuts Down

soclydeza

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2011
My computer started randomly shutting down on its own. after a while I realized that it only happens if I have certain browsers open (namely firefox and google chrome) for 20-30 or so mins. I've done virus, malware, adware, spyware scans and no luck.

also, when the computer shuts down, its as if i actually clicked the Shut Down button, it takes maybe 5 seconds to close all windows, then it says Saving Settings (or whatever) and shuts down (different than what i read happens to most people, where it seems like the computer just became unplugged). i checked the fans, i can feel them working, there is nothing that would cause the computer to overheat (no sunshine, roomtemp is pretty cool, no heavy programs), which leads me to believe this is more of a software issue.

INFO:
Dell Inspiron 530 DesktopProcessor Intel Pentium III Xeon processor
Processor Speed 2.43 GHz
Memory (RAM) 4096 MB
Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
Operating System Version 5.1.2600

any ideas? thanks

lewza

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2011
What PSU have you got?

It could be down to software but I think its highly unlikely unless a virus of some sort is triggering shutdown.exe

What anti virus have you tried scanning with? Download Anti Malwarebytes and run an update, then run a scan.

It may be worth downloading some sort of temperature checker which monitors how high the temps go.

RelaxninTucson

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2011
Unless you are sure that it is only when you have one of those applications open, it might be your power supply is going out or your processor is overheating because the fan to the processor went out. I had that problem recently and it got progressively worse over time until it wouldn't boot up at all.

soclydeza

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2011
Relaxnin - its definitely only when i open those browsers. it doesnt happen at all when i use my 3rd browser (Avant). the funny thing is, even if i open firefox just for a second then close it really quick its like it starts a timer and it tries to shut down a little while after, even without firefox open.

I've done scans with Avast, Spyware Terminator, Malwarebytes and Spybot S&D. the was nothing out of the ordinary, but Malwarebytes caught some problems involving Registry files. I didnt feel comfortable deleting them since they involved the registry, but ill run the scan again and post the results next time im on that computer.

i checked the fan and the seem to be working fine, but ill download a temp sensor next time im on that comp.

one other thing i forgot to mention, once i turn on the comp it sound like its loading something (that ultra fastpaced light ticking noise that comes from the CPU), and the loading like flickers for a long time (way longer than just a regular bootup). i checked my processes and theres nothing different than what used to happen before this problem. lemme know if you guys have any other ideas, thanks.

soclydeza

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2011
ok i went and checked the temps using RealTemp, is says everything is OK and that I'm pretty far from the maxs.

as for the registry files that i mentions before that Malwarebytes picked up on,

Registry Keys Infected:
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{D9291F9E-7010-4D7A-8DF6-455DEEF8EF51} (PUP.LivingPlay) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\TypeLib\{8006F89E-63A1-402A-8DB7-08A4C58F95AA} (PUP.LivingPlay) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Interface\{D4256C66-8177-4E19-8A13-2D43B2282D0D} (PUP.LivingPlay) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\lptlIE.TextLinks.1 (PUP.LivingPlay) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\lptlIE.TextLinks (PUP.LivingPlay) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Ext\Stats\{D9291F9E-7010-4D7A-8DF6-455DEEF8EF51} (PUP.LivingPlay) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

i quarantined them. anybody had any other ideas?

soclydeza

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2011
ok i went and checked the Event Log last time this happened, here is what i got:

========================================================================
Product: Windows Operating System
ID: 6006
Source: EventLog
Version: 5.2
Symbolic Name: EVENT_EventlogStopped

Explanation
This event is written during an expected restart or shutdown after the user initiates an expected restart or shutdown by clicking Start or pressing CTRL+ALT+DELETE, and then clicking Shut Down.

If the Persistent Time Stamp group policy setting is either enabled or not configured, system information is written to the data section of this event. This information includes the name and version of the Windows Server 2003 operating system and the computer's make and model.

If any of the sources for this information are unavailable, or if their contents are unreadable, their corresponding fields display <unknown>.

User Action
No user action is required.

Version: 5.0
Component: System Event Log
Symbolic Name: EVENT_EventlogStopped

Explanation
This event is written during an expected restart or shutdown after the user initiates the restart or shutdown by clicking Start and then clicking Shut Down, or by pressing CTRL+ALT+DELETE and then clicking Shut Down.

If the persistent Time Stamp group policy setting is either enabled or not configured, system information is written to the data section of this event. This information includes the name and version of the Windows operating system, as well as the computer's make and model.

If any of the sources for this information are unavailable, or if their contents are unreadable, their corresponding fields display .

User Action
No user action is required.
===============================================================

obviously im not initiating these CTRL+ALT+DELETE shutdowns, so whats this all about?

some other bad news, this has been happening outside of firefox today, so i guess thats not whats causing this.

truegenius

Distinguished
BANNED
after closing firefox write the command "shutdown -a" in command prompt without "".
if your doesn't shuts down then the problem is due to firefox it triggers shutdown.exe automatically, which can be a symbol of some malicious scripts in firefox or can be a new virus

Tooler69

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2012
It's because you are using a pentium III, it's easy get a new pc and all is well, they are cheap enough that it's just not worth anyones time trouble shooting it, even yours, would u spend just around $200 for a new pc or days of your time or 200 on a tech that will just put new parts in anyway.
Trust me I have tried to fix a couple od pcs with the exact same prob pentium 3,or 4 that shut down and the culprate is windows updates dint work well with old tech!