DVD seems to have disappeared!

Status
Not open for further replies.

chrissyd

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2011
I'm not very computer iterate, and this morning when I turned my laptop on the DVD/CD Drives did not appear when i opened 'my computer' and when I put a DVD in, it wouldn't read. I went into the device manager, and it says dvd/cd rom drives and under that HL-DT-ST DVDRAM DT10N ATA Device and that has an error sign on it. How do I get my DVD drive back!?

Thank you so much if any body can help

COLGeek

Cybernaut
It sounds like your DVD drive itself may be defective. If it is removable, try removing it (with the system powered off, battery removed) and then reseating it. It may be a connection issue.

Also, what make/model of laptop are you using? There may be a firmware upgrade from your vendor that could be applied that could possibly get the device working again. I doubt it, but worth checking in to.

In all likelihood, it is simply time to replace the drive itself. If under warranty, your vendor can do for you. If not under warranty, depending on make/model, you might be able to do yourself.

Please clarify. Good luck!

COLGeek

Cybernaut
One more thing. Before you do any of the above, right click on the device itself in your Device Manager and select uninstall. This will remove the DVD from your configuration. Restart the computer. If the device is working, it will be detected and the drivers reloaded. Good luck!

^^This should be your first course of action.

If that doesn't resolve the issue, try running this Fixit scan.
http://support.microsoft.com/mats/cd_dvd_drive_problems/en-us

If that doesn't help either, then proceed with the first suggestion from COLGeek.

dakimaz

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2010
I have a similar issue, my LG GH22NS50 dvd drive keeps disappearing.
Everytime i start the computer the drive is visible, but after a random amount of time (5 minutes to 8 hours, sometimes never) it disappears, both from my computer and Device Manager, i can however still open and close the drive, but anything concerning software is resultless.
It works if i restart the computer, but as stated earlier, it could very well disappear again after 5 minutes.
I've tried to relocate the wires into the motherboard, but without any useful results.
I've also tried to update the firmware, but that didn't help the issue either.
Any help you can provided would be appreciated

Thanks in advance

EDIT:
I forgot to mention, that when it disappears everything it's running is either frozen or stopped, like movies or games

You should start your own thread for this, to avoid hijacking the OP's thread.

nnaseem

Honorable
Apr 20, 2012
Hello,
how to install window 2003 server raid driver during installtion of 2003 server without floppy disk

Status
Not open for further replies.