jmebc

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2009
I updated the bios
on the P55-UD4P motherboard with the 15 and windows7 (64 bits). I followed the instructions (had success after the update and saved the 'Load Optimized Default' but now the system will not boot. The message is "A disk read error occurred" "Press Ctrl + Alt + Del to restart". With this motherboard, there are 2 different bios updates on Gigabyte site. I tried both, same problem. The reason bios was updated because the computer was running sluggish and sometime freeze during simple task. The system is running raid 5 but it was very slow. It was running faster with xp.

Any help please:)

Mongox

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2009
After you set to Optimized Defaults, did you put back in any settings you had previously made for the RAID configuration? Set the IDE/SATA mode to RAID, rather than IDE or ACHI, etc?

You say the system was running slow in RAID and it was faster with XP. The two are not comparable. RAID is a fail-safe setting designed to safe-guard data, not a speed enhancement. The speed with XP would be compared to the speed in Win7.

The disk read error may be from the boot order. You don't mention what drives you have in the system. Two in a RAID? A boot drive? Which is set as primary in the BIOS?

jmebc

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2009
Thanks for you response. I did set the IDE/SATA to Raid. I was running raid 5 with xp using 3 WD 640Gb caviar black. I do expect raid 5 to slow the system down but it was very slow comparing to running the same system on XP pro. The hard drive is set as the first boot up drive. Thanks

TRENDING THREADS