q9550 Quad Core
2x 10,000 RPM VelociRaptors
2x eVGA GTX260 Superclocked Editions
1x 1TB WD Drive
2x DVD
CoolerMaster HAF 932
4x 2GB 2000MHz ram

Might add a video capture card later

Is 750 Watts enough? I want to run at < 85% and don't want to teeter on the edge of enough power.

Opinions? Fact? I thought I might return this PS and get the
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817703022

Thanks all.

janxta

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2009
You can go to Antec Truepower website and use their calculator to see how much power is needed. Good luck with your build.

Two GTX260 video cards operating in SLI mode use a combined total of about 380 watts and 32 amps at full load. The source of the information is a video power consumption article published last January right here at Tom's hardware.

The PC Power & Cooling 750 watt psu is has a single large 12 volt rail rated at 60 amps. It is an excellent power supply that has earned favorable technical reviews.

The answer to your question is yes, 750 watts is enough.

dokk2

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2007
Well better safe than sorry,750 should be enough,but power is just like hdd space the more you have the more you will use it,,AND if you are going to exchange it you need to do it while it is still within the earliest part of the warranty/exchange window..
There are all kinds of psu calculators all over the web I used to have several links but it seems that they have gone south...:)

Blick

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2009
I have a suspicion you will be fine within your parameters (<85% utilization).

After reading reviews and tests that report full system power draw (as measured directly), I think power supply needs are over-hyped. I have an e8400 (sometimes @3.6) in a p35 board with 2 sticks of ram, 2x HDD, 2x ODD, 5 fans, two USB devices, and an EVGA GTX 260 (Good choice! They have been AWESOME to deal with about my fan breaking after 8 mos. use...their suggestion when I was looking for an alternative to my system being down for a week or two? "use an after market cooling solution, but save the broken fan. If the board itself dies, return it to stock and RMA it"). This is all powered by a Corsair vx550. My first choice was a vx450, but it doesn't have the second connector I need for my GPU. I'm convinced my rig doesn't need more than that, without running anywhere close to the ragged edge even. Plus it would run more efficiently. Also, you won't be using 100% of all your components at one time often, if ever, I bet.

182W TDP for each GTX 260 (stock) is peak, not continuous or average. Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that under full load you will not be drawing that for each card, but you may see transient spikes. Some good power supplies can even handle very brief spikes beyond their rating.

from another site that tested the card:
* Idle/2D power mode: approx. 25W
* Blu-ray DVD playback mode: approx. 35W
* Full 3D performance mode: varies - worst case TDP 236W for GTX 280
* Full 3D performance mode: varies - worst case TDP 182W for GTX 260
* HybridPower mode: effectively 0W

This is interesting, from the same article:

Our test system contains a Core 2 Duo X6800 Extreme Processor, the nForce 680i mainboard, a passive water-cooling solution on the CPU, DVD-rom and a WD Raptor drive. The results:

* PC in Idle = 159 Watt
* PC 100% usage (wattage gaming Peak) = 302 Watt

The monitoring device is reporting a maximum system wattage peak at roughly 302 Watts, and for a PC with this high-end card, that is not excessive at all.

...and here are the author's recommendations:

GeForce GTX 260 | 280 SLI

* A second GeForce GTX 260 requires you to have a 700 Watt power supply unit at minimum if you use it in a high-end system. That power supply needs to have (in total accumulated) at least 50 Amps available on the 12 volts rails.
* A second GeForce GTX 280 requires you to have a 800 Watt power supply unit at minimum if you use it in a high-end system. That power supply needs to have (in total accumulated) at least 55 Amps available on the 12 volts rails.

I think he means those to accommodate the worst-case scenario, so you would should be fine within your parameters. Look around at reviews especially for video cards and find graphs for actual measured power use for a test system that more closely matches yours. This type of info is common. I found several that had a test rig that was similar enough to mine to extrapolate my needs. Luckily for you, they seem to prefer quad cores. I have also found a lot of information about the average need for things like HDD's, ODD's, etc., and even some real world info for specific parts I have. You will have to decide for yourself whom to trust about what regarding accuracy. Also, I think the online calculators I used at first are full of crap. According to them, I am running at the ragged edge of my needs. NO WAY IN HELL.

Edit after reading other posts tmade while I typed, went outside, dicked around, and typed some more :) I'm not familiar with the calculator mentioned. Also, the 182W TDP is stated by Nvidia.

masterjaw

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2009
@OP: Try using this one. http://extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp

The results isn't the PSU wattage but the continuous 12v rail wattage needed by your system. But what you've chosen is enough to run the SLI setup.

@Blick: You got a good PSU there. Even if you OC your cpu, your system would still be fine. Those calculators you've tried might be for those people who doesn't know exactly what a quality PSU is.

xanoc

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2009
Thanks for all the responses. I had bought the PS I did for the strong 12V rail, good price and generally favorable reviews. I had initially used the calculator at http://extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp but at the time didn't know all my components or my OC range.

I mocked out an OC to 3.7 (which I won't do) and added some more random stuff which I don't yet own, put in the fans etc. and came out to:

549 w @ 100% Peak Utilization
494 w @ 90% Peak Utilization

Given that the PS will peak at 825w I am sure that I am more than safe even if I loaded it up and there was a boot up spike.

I had read the nVidia SLI certified PS page and started to get concerned which is what prompted this thread. I've read a lot more and think that their certified power supply planning page is maybe BS.

The other reason I posted is because I could still return and pay the 15% restock, but it looks like I am well within the limits I need for power.

Ancient_1

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2006
That 750 (Based on the SeaSonic s12 series) should be more than enough for your needs. But if you decide to return it I would go for the SeaSonic M12D SS-850 (The 910 is based on the M12D) over the 910 since it has a 120mm cooling fan and is modular and with an after rebate price of $150 it is a great value.

The main reason I would consider the exchange would be to get a newer more efficient design but like i said that 750 should be plenty and the only bad thing I have heard about the silencers is the 80mm can get loud.

Here are some reviews of the power supplies.

PC Power & Cooling Silencer 910

PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750

Seasonic M12D 750