Sign in with
Your question

Regarding CPU steppings?

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
August 18, 2009 4:16:44 AM

I have heard they can affect how much a CPU can OC; but do they also give the CPU more performence since it (i assume) fixes errors/bugs from previous stepping? If this is the case, would it not be better to wait for later steppings of a brand new CPU coming into the market?

In other words, if a brand new CPU (lets say the i5) is coming out, would it be worth it to buy it at a later date (until more revisions have come) or does it really not matter and you should buy it as soon as it comes out if you want it

Thanks

More about : cpu steppings

August 18, 2009 4:39:02 AM

It would if you knew thered be perf increases down the road, which theres no gaurantee of
m
l
August 18, 2009 5:34:08 PM

A new stepping can mean one or more of the following (but sometimes none):

- Higher maximum clock speed.
- More energy efficient.
- Some new instructions (like SSE...).
- Bug fixes (although rare in processors, they do happen).

The change will not be massive as if it was they would give it a whole new name, but can still be worth waiting if it's only a matter of a few weeks or so. But since new steppings come out all the time it's not worth waiting like 6 months because another new stepping will be anounced and you'll wait another 6 months and so on, and never actually ever get around to buying a new CPU.
m
l
Related resources
August 18, 2009 6:41:57 PM

Theres almost always bug fixes going on, but theyre minor fixes
m
l
August 18, 2009 6:50:55 PM

You won't get new instructions in a stepping without a name change. Or at least I can't recall an Intel case where that happened.
m
l
!