Swapping partitions to new HDDs

Pallimud

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2010
I just got another HDD because I want to setup RAID on my main one to keep it backed up all the time.

Right now I have 3 HDDs, and now I am adding a 4th HDD. I want to know if I can simply copy all the contents of a partition into another partition on a different HDD and then swap the drive letters without any issues.

For example, I have a partition (P) on HDD1, I want to move that whole partition to HDD2's parition (X). So I create a partition on HDD2 with at least the same size, then do a simple Select All inside the P: drive and a Paste into my X: drive. Then change my X drive to be called P.

Will this work? I have installed programs in this "P" drive, not just random files, so there are dependencies.

Thanks

Pallimud

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2010
Thanks, glad I got a nod on Clonezilla because I actually downloaded it and was thinking of trying it out.

Is there a way to be able to copy a system partition, or is that out of the question? I guess maybe if I boot to clonezilla, I should be able to? Say I want to move my C drive to a new HDD. I was just confused how my system would know to call this new partition with windows on it as C? Or would Windows always say that it is on C?