What agp video cards can run on stock 300 watt power supply!?

como_13

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2008
I currently have a ATI Radeon 9200 series video card with a stock 300 watt power supply.....and i really want to get a new video card that is better than what i have and that can run on 300 watts!!! can someone share some insight for me cos im looking at going to buy one soon....and i cant uprgrade my psu cos i have a sony vaio. Im eager to hear from anyone....thanks.

rewindlabs

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2009
*sigh*

Resolution???

Other system specs and what games you intend to play....

Budget maybe :sarcastic:

the specs of your pc :pfff:

details on the psu...i swear to god if you ask how to find these il gut your face and take a picture of it with a caption that says....this is what happens when you don't F****** google....il then mail it to google....it will become viral...

Have a nice day/night...

como_13

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2008
Manufacturer: Sony Part Number:pCV-RS430G General
Type Personal computer Recommended Use Home use Product Form Factor Tower Width 7.7 in Depth 15.4 in Height 15 in Weight 30.9 lbs Processor
Type Intel Pentium 4 2.8 GHz Installed Qty 1 Max processors supported 1 Cache Memory
Type L2 cache Installed Size 512 KB Cache Per Processor 512 KB Mainboard
Data bus speed 800 MHz RAM
Installed Size 512 MB / 2 GB (max) Technology DDR SDRAM Memory speed 333 MHz Memory specification compliance PC2700 RAM form factor DIMM 184-pin Environmental Parameters
Environmental & energy standards compliance EPA Energy Star Storage Controller
Type 1 x IDE - Integrated - PCI Controller interface type ATA-100 Storage Controller (2nd)
Type None Storage
Floppy drive type 3.5" 1.44 MB floppy Hard Drive 1 x 120 GB - Standard - ATA-100 - 7200 rpm Hard Drive (2nd) None Optical Storage
Type DVD?RW - IDE CD / DVD read speed 32x CD / DVD write speed 16x (CD) / 4x (DVD) CD / DVD rewrite speed 10x (CD) / 2x (DVD-RW) / 2.4x (DVD+RW) Optical Storage (2nd)
Type DVD-ROM 2nd optical storage read speed 40x (CD) / 16x (DVD) Storage Removable
Type None Monitor
Monitor Type None. Multimedia Functionality
Video input Video capture adapter Graphics Controller
Type AGP 8x - Plug-in card Graphics Processor / Vendor ATI Radeon 9200 Video Memory DDR SDRAM Installed Size 128 MB Digital Video Standard Digital Visual Interface (DVI)

I intend to play games like call of duty 4:modern warfare....please let me know if the nvidia geforce 6200 agp is a good choice....cos thats wat im looking at

como_13

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2008
i tried using a xfx geforce 7600gs 512mb but it didnt run with my stock 300 watt powersupply....and i cant seem to find another psu for sony vaio pcv-rs430g

rewindlabs

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2009
Well either you have trouble reading or....i can't find your posted RESOLUTION AND BUDGET....and NO a 6200 will not be enough...you will also NEED to upgrade your ram as well...so post your damn budget and res...did i miss the psu specs....now since you can't read let me walk you through this...

Open the side of the pc case...careful don't hurt yourself theres sharp edges...now you see that thing you plug the power cord into...look at the little sticker on the side of it...DON'T scratch it off you noob....copy the little symbols and squigglys you see on it like your drawing in a coloring book ok?

Thanks...your looking for amps...example=14A

Actually list ANYTHING written on the psu...

ok, i know people really want to just upgrade one of those <enter mainstream computer maker>'s that they bought, but really, your best bet is just saving and getting a new computer, even $600 would wipe the this computer against all of the walls and the ceiling

now getting a new computer is especially relevant in your case, you are using DDR memory, to upgrade the memory to 2GB (2x1GB) it would cost you more than the new builds DDR(2/3) 4GB(2x2GB), i know this since i have a s939 server and won't upgrade the memory now, also, AGP cards tend to be more expensive than their PCI-e counterparts since there is less demand for the AGP market these days, and it looks like your cpu is s478, so no good cpu upgrade (even if it was LGA775, you still would have to stay in the P4 line)

rewindlabs

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2009

You must be 13....list your damn budget and resolution....

You will probably need to upgrade your power supply before you try running any graphics card.....it would explode your computer *laughs*

como_13

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2008
My budget is $120 and my current resolution is 1280x1024, if thats the freakin resolution u asking for....and i have upgraded my power supply today from 295 watts toa 475 watts....thats why i was asking wat agp card would work with the power supply link i gave u!!!

edeawillrule

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2008

rewindlabs just take a deep breath and relax lol

+1

(Sorry for the all caps to the people this isn't aimed at but I'm trying to make a point) WILL ALL YOU PEOPLE WITH YOUR ANCIENT AGP/PENTIUM 4/POS SYSTEMS PLEASE STOP TRYING TO UPGRADE COMPONENTS IN COMPUTERS THAT WON'T BENEFIT FROM THEM!!! IT'S A COMPLETE WASTE OF MONEY, TIME, AND ELECTRICITY (being consumed by the P4s)! LET GO AND GET A NEW COMPUTER ALREADY!!! And don't you dare give me a dissertation about not being able to afford it I make minimum wage and purchased a new pc so you can too. No complaining about having to save some money to do it either.

kingnoobe

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2008
While they can't just put it nicely, since they must have something stuck up their... well you know...

I do agree with them.. I have an amd 3200, 512mb 3850, 2gb ram.. You're diffently better off saving up 300-400$, and simply buying a barebone kit or just getting the competants together yourself. Trust me in the end you'll be much happier..

edeawillrule

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2008

I have posted that sort of statement nicely many times. It just gets a bit old after a while.

Well, that 300W unit probably would have been o.k for a Radeon 3650. Your upgraded PSU is better, but it isn't enough for the 3850 which would be the best AGP card. You can go with this 4650 though kindly made by gigabyte

GIGABYTE GV-R465D2-1GI Radeon HD 4650 1GB
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125281

While 4650s normally don't need any extra connectors, the AGP slot provides less power so you'll get to use that PCI-E connector on that new PSU of yours. Your PSU should handle it just fine, but just in case, if you hear a high pitched whine when you play a game turn it off immediately :D. The next step down would be a 2600XT as it is usually clocked faster than the 3650 (800MHz vs 725MHz core speed) while the 3650 is made from a smaller process to use less power and has DX10.1.

TRENDING THREADS