I7 Build list almost finished. Missing Graphics Card and Case.

MF-DK

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2009
Okay my turn to post my i7 list I’m going for.
Just I think I have figured out most parts myself so that’s just make things easier. ;)
Still any suggestions and fixes is welcome. B
ut I not sure about a few things - need your help, but let me show my rig first :D

CPU: Intel i7 920 (2.66 Mhz) Intel boxed - D0 stepping

Motherboad: Asus P6T Deluxe V2

RAM: OCZ Platinum XTC DDR3 1600MHz 6GB 3x2 GB

PSU: Corsair HX1000

Hard drive - OS: Intel X25-M 80 GB

Hard drive Storage and Backup: 2x Caviar Black: WD1001FALS 1 TB

Cooler: Noctua NH-U12P SE1366

Optical drive: Samsung WriteMaster SH-S223F Sort

WLAN: Sitecom WL 181 b/g/n

Graphics Card: 2x GTX 285 in SLI

Screen: HP LP2475W – not 100% sure but I think it will this one.

Case: Antec Nine Hundred Two

Other things
Keyboard: Microsoft Reclusa Gaming – I need Blue backlight
Mus: Logitech G5 – proberly gonna pick a wireless one instead but now Which?
Thermal compound: Artic Cooling MX-2
OS: Windows 7 RC I think or dual boot with XP until the final Windows 7 is ready.
Internal Card Reader ???
Optional Fan controller ??? not sure I am really need that.

My build is mostly going to used for multitasking with regular program like mailbox, couple of browser windows, music program, office spyware programs etc. but also heavy jobs like Video editing for DVD’s, portable media players, picture editing and so on. I am also looking for nice fast OS experience if you know what I mean. My current PC booting up on 15 minuttes. :na:

Just I’m not going to do a lot much gaming, so I not sure whatever I should go for best or lower or the 2x GTX 285 in SLI is the right thing out there.
I Don’t think I need to run heavy games like Crysis because it will unlikely be I will try out that game but I need to run games like WoW, Starcraft 2 (when released), Race Drive: Grid, NFS series, GTA IV at high settings on 1920 x 1200 smooth on properly that screen above.

Also I will properly OC to around 3.8 or so whatever is most safe and best for my CPU.

I appreciate any help. I am in a little hurry due to some economy conflicts so I’m hoping to see your reply soon on it.

Thank you
MF-DK
Denmark

godfath3r

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2009
id also suggest either getting 2 x 4890s or even 2 x gtx 275s. theres a nice article on the main page about 2x275s in sli and shows that they outperform the 295. however as you have said your not really into gaming but you believe me gta on full settings is a hungry game.

but if you want to got the cheaper option then 2 x 4770's in crossfire is a nice option.

ohh and i would either get windows 7 RC or in my case windows vista 64

MF-DK

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2009
Nice thank you guys. Yeah I might be careful to pick up something I don’t really need.
I more think power consumptions are more important rather than money is an issue. (I’ve got too many :lol: )
I have been reading a bit on the recent articles, I will take another look on those new cards.

BTW could we find a nice internal card reader? there must be for SD and XD card but mostly always there. Not sure if I just should go for a random noname product or something.

If heavy gaming is not part of your workload, then back off on the vga card configuration. A single GTX285 will run most things very well. You always have the option to add a second one later. I bet you won't for two reasons:
1) You won't need it because performance will be very good with just one card.
2) By the end of the year, there will be better 40nm cards out, and it will be better to sell the GTX285 and replace it with the next best thing.

The Corsair 1000w is much more than you need.
The 750w unit would be plenty.

For lots of multitasking, I like lots of screen acerage. Look at a 2560x1600 30" monitor. Or, consider two 24" units which have about the same total number of pixels. A quality monitor will outlast this pc, and the next two generations. It is what you will be looking at for a long time. Get the best you can afford up front.

The Intel X25-M Is a good OS SSD. There is a microcode flash that improves it's performance, so check that out. I found that 80GB was a bit limiting, so I splurged and got a second one in raid-0. Capacity problem solved, and performance was improved. Keep track of this technology, though. It is advancing rapidly, and we should see some big improvements in price and performance by the end of the year. Consider getting a cheap interim hard drive first, planning on a SSD later to install the official Windows 7 release.

The Antec case has fans with 3 speed controllers. I don't see the need for a separate fan controller.

Media card readers are cheap, and easy to replace, so a bad choice here is no biggie. Some readers have strange quirks, so read the reviews carefully. I have little direct knowledge there.

I would use a corded mouse if possible. Batteries/charging is an unnecessary aggravation. Some say your mouse response time will be better.

Windows 7 seems to be in good shape. In limited testing, I have had no problems. I would not bother with dual boot, particularly if you don't already have a XP-64 bit license already. The major issue I see is that when the official release becomes available, you will need to do a clean install. An update install will not be available. Plan accordingly.

nerrawg

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2008
Yeah, also the GTX 285 is pretty poor value - but then maybe money isn't that much of an issue - in which case it is a good card. If money is an issue at all though I would go for a GTX 275 or a 4890 1GB - both beat a stock GTX 285 and cost at least a hundred dollars less. In fact you could get 3 x GTX 275's for the price of 2 x GTX 285's - that would be much better if you needed the power. Like geofelt says though - you probably don't need it . Personally I think it is better to only spend the money you need to - if you run 1920 x 1200 that means $200 on a 4770 CF solution. Save the rest and use it ti upgrade your GPU every year and your system more often - you will be better of in the long run. Here is a 3 year comparison to show you exactly why this is so true:

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/264181-31-best-bang-buck-spend-system

MF-DK

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2009

I am beware of that such things will going to change very quickly but I don’t think I will really care I need to change my system every year. I am properly going to use this rig for at least few years. But thanks for clarify that the GTX 285 was a poor value.

1. Well in that I am sure it’s not necessary to get multiply cards in my case. I’m still a noob to all this. :D

2. Yeah I was about to say that. I will checkout what I actually need when I know my graphic card.

3. For me it’s debated. I barely have space around me just for that one single screen.
But later on I will actually maybe getting a large flat panel beside which will be able to be connected for a secondary monitor.

4. I was originally to get another WD Black 1TB for the OS for same reason but the X25-M is now so fast and nice, but again the limited space. I have been wondering how the 160 GB performs but its more than just expensive. Like you say I could stick with a WD Black and use Win 7 RC or XP until I can find the final win 7 and then also get the SDD for a good value, and so get the best out of both things.

5. I don’t see that either with this case. Just I am still not sure if this one is the perfect one for me. Still searching for alternate. Sorry I didn’t clarify this good enough. (I am not allowed to edit my posts.)

I like the front panel and the black finish inside but the window is only an optional thing and I am still not if I may come into trouble placing the large heat sink or the graphic card inside that case since it is a mid-tower. I hear a little issue with the drive bays and large graphic cards. The Antec 1200 is just too big for my environment.
Also Lian Li cases looks good but I remember they are expensive and mostly full tower as well.

This is what I looking for (case):

- Carry my rig above (handle graphic card, cooler, Hard drives and perhaps large PSU’s
- NO door
- Mid tower if possible.
- Dust filters
- Cable management
- No fancy design. One LED fan or two is ok.
- USB and eSATA connectors on the front - easy access.
- Window is only optional.
- And of cause quiet and good cooling abilities if possible.

6. Anyway thank you so much for your reply.

7. I am currently using a discounted Logitech MX1000 and I don’t feel any lack of response or the battery unhandy/unnecessary. But I find wireless keyboards unnecessary. Still I need a new mouse for this rig but that’s not my biggest problem right now.

8. I don’t have any OS yet to work with, so likely all options are open but I will avoid Vista if possible. I see the Win 7 RC is a available option out there until March next year but I am unsure of any more cons it might have right now.

nerrawg

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2008
Er du dansk? i såfall visste jeg ikke det.
Og forresten så heter det aware istedenfor beware - men jeg skjønte det allikevel - og du snakker (skriver egentlig da) veldig godt engelsk for en danske. Håper du fikk gode råd her - men prisene er litt annerledes i scandinavia - så du burde sjekke hvordan de er i forhold til det du får tilbake i utbytte + det kan variere ganske mye.

Lykke til

MF-DK

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2009

:heink:
I apologies my not perfect English. Still got much to learn.
Well yes I am dane, noob and normally a bit crazy now I see :lol: but there is a reason why I am posting this. I need help for pick the right stuff.
I have decided to go with the 4890 and by those watt tests out there it looks I can just go with the TX750. The HX1000 is then indeed overkill. Just I read those card make some noise - may have to look around find out more on that.

I am about to get most of it from the UK but I sure do look around to find out whatever best to do.

philipV

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2009
If possibly get your parts from America - they are much cheaper over here compared to the UK. I also say go for the 4890, in crossfire or by itself. As for the case, if you want a full tower the Antec 1200 is a nice choice and cools well, if you want looks the Cosmos S is a good case as well, with decent cooling.

MF-DK

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2009
Very likely it could be even more expensive if I get catch and need to pay tax. (25%+ in my case) That’s why I don’t buy from the US - at least expensive things. I just feel full towers are darn large but I don’t really need move my system quiet often. The problem I just don’t have enough room for it.

nerrawg

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2008

Is sweden maybe cheaper for you, check this out:
http://www.priskoll.nu/

and its only a short drive.

Also germany is usually quite a bit cheaper than the UK:
http://www.litec-computer.de/index.php?cat=258&sort=&filter_id=28
http://www.pixmania.com/pc-komponenten/dede9_103_pm.html
http://www.mindfactory.de/index.php/cat/c5_PC-Hardware.html
http://www3.hardwareversand.de/3VOx-ma2rVU2Dc/articlesearch.jsp?agid=439&search.reset=1&search.sKey=
http://www.tweakpc.de/

My german and my euro conversion skills aren't that good so you will have to take it with a grain of salt and check it yourself.
Hope this helps :)

philipV

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2009
25% tax? That sucks, I know how its like, I live in Macedonia now and those f**king taxes when I travel is annoying as hell. Well if you want a mid tower the Antec 900 is a great case, even the Antec 300 is awesome for only $55. The Antec 900 2 is pretty much the mid tower version of the Antec 1200. THe 300 is also a great modding case, if you are into that sort of thing.

Antec 900 - $110
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129021

Antec 300 - $55
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129042&

Antec 900 2 - $140
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129058

MF-DK

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2009

Sorry for late reply (small vacation)
I haven’t search much yet for prices and stores since I more want to do that as last thing but this is just AWESOME.
Not even the local forums could deliver me that kind of information. This forum really going to be my favorite. ;)

From your Swedish link, it doesn’t seem there is anything at all to save by getting stuff from that country compare England or Denmark. I do hear that things are cheaper over there but it doesn’t seem that computer hardware is part of it. Otherwise I don’t have good relationship with any Swedish stores.

Btw by looking at German stores, yes prices are actually slightly lower. Already by the CPU and motherboard I could properly save 35 £. Germany is gonna be my new country. I find some of your links are very useful. Thanks

Perhaps yes but the 900/902 doesn’t really have less of that. It’s only optional, but I like a more simple look and no huge “bling”. It’ still very close to that what I seek. But since it supposes to be larger I more stick to the 902 for now also due the nice black inside and the 3 fan speeds.
Still more suggestions are welcome.

I’m not sure what 4890 I should pick other than go without OC cards (not worth the money) and pick a 1 GB version, right? I hope some of you guys from the GPU forums see this.