Tags:
  • Hard Drives
  • BIOS
  • SATA
  • Storage
Last response: in Storage
January 7, 2011 9:30:09 PM

Hello All,
I have a Gigabyte MA785GM-US2H rev. 3.3, AMD quad core Phenom II 945 and a WD7501AALS.

New upgrade, first boot. The post lists the 2 IDE cd-roms and the HD but the bios only lists the roms. The bios will not auto-detect the HD. OnChip SATA Controller is enabled and OnChip SATA Type is AHCI. Drive is plugged into SATA2_0 on the MB and the angled plug is in the drive. The drive spins up. The PSU is 500W.

Been thru the bios a couple of times and now the machine posts and resets, posts and resets.

I don't know anything about SATA. I'm an IDE guy so be gentle and EXPLAIN!
Thanks for your time.
Rick

More about : post sees sata drive bios doesnt

a c 102 G Storage
January 7, 2011 11:29:06 PM

I have a system with the same mobo. First, verify that the SATA data and power cables are firmly attached to the HDD. Also, verify that your data cable is firmly attached to the motherboard. The power connectors (with SATA) can be moved out of place very easily.

Also, the AHCI vice IDE mode is largely moot for most applications. If you are hot swapping, I would recommend you operate in IDE mode.

Good luck!
m
l
January 8, 2011 6:47:54 PM

OK, so changed the OnChip SATA Type to IDE.
So now I have a drive listed in the post and I have a drive listed in the bios and both show full size.
Now the boot proceeds to the Checking DMI POOL (or some such) and it hangs.
Got a kid I know coming over to see what's up. It's a good deal, he works on the computer, I buy pizza and beer and maybe slip him $20 if I got the cash. Everybody wins.
Don't let that stop you guys from sharing and I will post what we come up with if/when we resolve the issue.
m
l
Related resources
January 18, 2011 10:01:31 PM

it would appear that 0setting the bios to IDE solved the HD identity issue but the machine would loop to reset after post. Turns out you can't plug 2 memory modules in the same color slots, (who knew) :??:  Moved one of the modules to the other coler slot set and if fired first time and has been happily humming along ever since. 18 seconds from beep to windows screen.
m
l
a c 102 G Storage
January 18, 2011 11:00:19 PM

rickg5106 said:
it would appear that 0setting the bios to IDE solved the HD identity issue but the machine would loop to reset after post. Turns out you can't plug 2 memory modules in the same color slots, (who knew) :??:  Moved one of the modules to the other coler slot set and if fired first time and has been happily humming along ever since. 18 seconds from beep to windows screen.

Glad your system is working, but the manual calls for the following (copied directly from your mobo manual and how mine is configured):

If two memory modules are to be installed, it is recommended that you install them in the DDR2_1 and DDR2_2 sockets.

What make/model of memory are you using?

Regardless, good job getting the system going.
m
l
!