Sign in with
Your question

Hauppauge 1800 in PCI Express 16 slot looks wrong

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 4, 2009 4:46:35 PM

I'm installing a Hauppauge WinTV-HVR 1800 card which says it'll work in either PCI Express x1 or x16, into a Asus P6T motherboard.

The video card is blocking the single PCI Express x1 slot, so I installed the tv card in the second x16 slot.

It didn't look right putting this short card into a long x16 slot as it was sort of curved over the unused pins.
When I booted my pc, my bios was changed to boot from floppy and dates on my system changed. I immediately shut down and pulled the card out after seeing the bios screen.

My question is, should I try and install the tv card in the PCI Express x1 slot and move my video card to a different x16 slot as I have two others? If so, would this require alot of change or would Windows 7 immediately recognize the move and automatically reconfigure?

OR, should I try in the same x16 slot again, and not worry if I'm prompted to setup bios again?

Thanks.
June 4, 2009 6:03:31 PM

You only have 2 PCI-E X16 slots, the blue ones, the white slot is X16 long but only has 4 lanes (X4).
You can put the graphics card into PCI-E slot 2 without problems, freeing the PCI-E X1 position.
The motherboard and Windows should reconfigure automatically.
Or you could put the TV card into the lower, white X4 slot!
Related resources
!