When to get the best price per gig

DELTAsnake

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2007
I want to get a SSD, I need at least 180gb to fit OSX and all my apps, but not my data on it. I know that the Sandforce and Intel's upcoming G3 products both have drives above my minimum space requirement and perform really well.

I'm just wondering what will be best the best time in the next month or two to get a SSD for price per gigabyte.

Are prices expected to stay the same per gig after the new Intel drives are released in February or is Intel expected to slot them in at the same MSRP of the drives they are replacing and therefore dropping the price per gig?

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: I really don't want to wait for the SSD unless I'm going to get a better deal. I can't put up with this Caviar Green they put in my Mac Pro any longer.

Solution
Price per gig SHOULD drop with the 25nm nand. In fact it must. However, how good, how soon? It's like the stock market. Unfortunately, these things are still U.S. based and U.S. market driven. However, we ship things to Canada and I'm sure you can ship to Aus. for not too much more. Especially if your prices are so out of line.

DELTAsnake

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2007

SSD pricing isn't that good here in Australia, I am looking at $600 for a 240gb Vertex 2 even tho the AUD is stronger than the USD so I'm really wanting to know if the current prices are as good as I'm going to get or if the new Intel's will drop the price per gig.

adampower

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2010
Price per gig SHOULD drop with the 25nm nand. In fact it must. However, how good, how soon? It's like the stock market. Unfortunately, these things are still U.S. based and U.S. market driven. However, we ship things to Canada and I'm sure you can ship to Aus. for not too much more. Especially if your prices are so out of line.

Solution

Latest posts