Keeps shutting down :(

steveturner

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2009
Right here we go:-
my computer that i have just built keeps turning off, basicaly unstable. i beleive this is due to something to do with the memory set-up in my bios?

The motherboard i have is a ASUS m4a79xtd EVO with a AMD Phenom II x4 Black Edition 3.4 processor socket am3.
i have installed kingston hyperx 2x2gb ddr3 modules 1600mhz, part number khx1600c9d3/2gb

can anyone help me or give any advise?
just anything! haha

please bare in mind i am a bit of a noob to all this

steveturner

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2009
It is none of them, the pc turnes on and i have installed windows 7 on it fine. it runs but randomly turns off it was first doing it when scanning for new channels on windows media player through my tv card but now it is always doing it, im not a time waister, oveosly i didnt make my problem clear to you, sorry.
it does boot up fine as i am using it to write this and all drivers are installed.

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2008
as i stated I know you can post but many of the things on the list can also cause the problems you have described.

set bios to fail safe defaults
take all but one mem stick out
still got problems try a different mem stick
are your switch wires pinched anywhere (could be shorting out)
is there anything lose inside the case

steveturner

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2009
cheers, sorry if i have caused any trouble. i dont mean to waist time.
i have set the bios to defaults. an taken one ddr3 out leaving the remaining one in.
there are no traped wires and no cable ties around any wires or anything of that sort.
nothing is lose inside the case.
after setting it to default i am tryin it out with one stick like you say, as weird as it sounds it never failed to do the fault when scanning for new channels on windows media so i am doing that to see if when it comes to 90% complete it still closes like before.
it doesnt just do it when scanning for channels by the way.

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2008
so we've tried both sticks and different slots still getting the error

means most likely the mem is good so; on to the power supply, and without a tester your going to have to swap it, hopefully you have another computer to borrow it from or a really good friend that will loan you one for a day

steveturner

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2009
no no what i am saying is that i have done what you said and taken one stick out and left one in, and it is working fine

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2008
sorry my mistake,
so we are down to only one stick of ram, and everything works fine

you can try to reinsert the other stick; if one was lose that could have been the whole problem

FYI
both stick should be in the same color slot ! ! !

if life isn't that simple

run memtest on each stick of ram to see if one is faulty, it they both pass

run memtest on them in each set of slots,

if the sticks pass and the board fails we found the problem, and you replace the problem
alternately we can try to compensate in the bios

steveturner

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2009
cheers will try that now and get back to you. i have done a mem test on the one that is in there now already so i know one is good haha. what do you mean by the very last bit tho about the sticks passing an board failing how will you know if board fails?

steveturner

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2009
so far so good, cheers for all yourhelp, i cant see that they wernt plugged in right tho as i tried that and it reconised the full 4 gig an i have a fan over them thats mounted on the clips that hold the ddr3 in, but i dunno least its working haha.

would you set the voltage and speed of the ram in the bios to the specs of the ram? or leave it on auto? as for example i know my ram is 1.7 to 1.9 and i think my board on auto is 1.5?

im not sure just any advise is cool.
cheers for your help so far.

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2008
glad it's working for you

if it's not defaulting to the right setting I would change them, just remember if you do it manually you have to make sure all settings are set correctly speed, vol, cas