[Sims2] Closets?

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

It's given that many houses in The Sims 2 aren't going to be entirely
realistic; the program *does* have limitations. One limitation, though,
that shouldn't exist is the CLOSET. People have closets. Closets are
good places to store clothes (and other stuff). But you don't get them
in The Sims 2. Why not?

Or do we?

Has anyone made up any closet objects? I envision a closet as being
functionally identical to a dresser/armoire, but in appearance, it would
be just a bar with clothes hanging from it, one square in size.
Optionally, it would come with a door in front of it. You would build
walls around three sides of a single square, and place the object so
that it's accessible through the fourth side. Double-wide closets might
exist as well.

Clues? Pointers? Ditto to tools that I could use to create one via some
sort of simple hackery?

--
Jeff Zeitlin
jzeitlin@cyburban.com
12 answers Last reply
More about sims2 closets
  1. Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

    On Sat, 23 Apr 2005 13:53:19 -0400, Jeff Zeitlin
    <jzeitlin@cyburban.com> wrote:

    >It's given that many houses in The Sims 2 aren't going to be entirely
    >realistic; the program *does* have limitations. One limitation, though,
    >that shouldn't exist is the CLOSET.

    A great many older houses outside of North America have no closets at
    all. Came as a bit of an unpleasant surprise to my wife when we moved
    to England!
  2. Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

    Jeff Zeitlin <jzeitlin@cyburban.com> wrote in
    news:1e2l61h7gi231hlh9onr4kg752pivl37pa@4ax.com:

    > It's given that many houses in The Sims 2 aren't going to be
    > entirely realistic; the program *does* have limitations. One
    > limitation, though, that shouldn't exist is the CLOSET. People
    > have closets. Closets are good places to store clothes (and other
    > stuff). But you don't get them in The Sims 2. Why not?
    >
    > Or do we?
    >
    > Has anyone made up any closet objects? I envision a closet as
    > being functionally identical to a dresser/armoire, but in
    > appearance, it would be just a bar with clothes hanging from it,
    > one square in size. Optionally, it would come with a door in front
    > of it. You would build walls around three sides of a single
    > square, and place the object so that it's accessible through the
    > fourth side. Double-wide closets might exist as well.
    >
    > Clues? Pointers? Ditto to tools that I could use to create one via
    > some sort of simple hackery?
    >
    Here's a way to make a closet. Go to modthesims2.com and download
    the "shop at home" package. You can then build a small room and put
    in shelves (there are also shelf units available at mts2) and then
    put in a couple of the shop at home clothes racks. You can put a
    door on it if you wish.

    --
    Mike
    Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose
    sight of the shore.
    - Andre Gide
  3. Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

    cluedweasel wrote:

    > On Sat, 23 Apr 2005 13:53:19 -0400, Jeff Zeitlin
    > <jzeitlin@cyburban.com> wrote:
    >
    >
    >>It's given that many houses in The Sims 2 aren't going to be entirely
    >>realistic; the program *does* have limitations. One limitation, though,
    >>that shouldn't exist is the CLOSET.
    >
    >
    > A great many older houses outside of North America have no closets at
    > all. Came as a bit of an unpleasant surprise to my wife when we moved
    > to England!

    There were 3 in my parents' home. It is a farm house built in 1869. All
    closets were obvious additions to the original frame, as was the
    kitchen, which also only had 2 cabinents until my parents remodelled.

    I like Hoosier cabinets. Would be neat to see them in the Sims, for a
    proper Victorian kitchen.

    -georg
  4. Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

    On Sat, 23 Apr 2005 18:14:13 GMT, georg <thegeorg@stny.rr.com> wrote:

    >cluedweasel wrote:
    >
    >> On Sat, 23 Apr 2005 13:53:19 -0400, Jeff Zeitlin
    >> <jzeitlin@cyburban.com> wrote:
    >>
    >>
    >>>It's given that many houses in The Sims 2 aren't going to be entirely
    >>>realistic; the program *does* have limitations. One limitation, though,
    >>>that shouldn't exist is the CLOSET.
    >>
    >>
    >> A great many older houses outside of North America have no closets at
    >> all. Came as a bit of an unpleasant surprise to my wife when we moved
    >> to England!
    >
    >There were 3 in my parents' home. It is a farm house built in 1869.

    Ha! Modern stuff :) We ended up with a former gameskeepers cottage
    built in 1668. I think the plumbing was still original!
  5. Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

    Jeff Zeitlin wrote:
    > It's given that many houses in The Sims 2 aren't going to be entirely
    > realistic; the program *does* have limitations. One limitation, though,
    > that shouldn't exist is the CLOSET. People have closets. Closets are
    > good places to store clothes (and other stuff). But you don't get them
    > in The Sims 2. Why not?
    >
    > Or do we?
    >
    > Has anyone made up any closet objects? I envision a closet as being
    > functionally identical to a dresser/armoire, but in appearance, it would
    > be just a bar with clothes hanging from it, one square in size.
    > Optionally, it would come with a door in front of it. You would build
    > walls around three sides of a single square, and place the object so
    > that it's accessible through the fourth side. Double-wide closets might
    > exist as well.
    >
    > Clues? Pointers? Ditto to tools that I could use to create one via some
    > sort of simple hackery?
    >
    > --
    > Jeff Zeitlin
    > jzeitlin@cyburban.com

    MTS2 has something that sounds like what you're looking for. It's
    currently on the 2nd page of Hacked Objects in the Downloads section.
    The thread title is "Testers Wanted: Clothing Rack Dressers".
  6. Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

    cluedweasel wrote:
    > On Sat, 23 Apr 2005 18:14:13 GMT, georg <thegeorg@stny.rr.com> wrote:
    >
    >
    >>cluedweasel wrote:
    >>
    >>
    >>>On Sat, 23 Apr 2005 13:53:19 -0400, Jeff Zeitlin
    >>><jzeitlin@cyburban.com> wrote:
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>>It's given that many houses in The Sims 2 aren't going to be entirely
    >>>>realistic; the program *does* have limitations. One limitation, though,
    >>>>that shouldn't exist is the CLOSET.
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>A great many older houses outside of North America have no closets at
    >>>all. Came as a bit of an unpleasant surprise to my wife when we moved
    >>>to England!
    >>
    >>There were 3 in my parents' home. It is a farm house built in 1869.
    >
    >
    > Ha! Modern stuff :) We ended up with a former gameskeepers cottage
    > built in 1668. I think the plumbing was still original!

    Well, if we lived in Europe, it would be modern.

    I think it's the oldest home around for at least 8 miles in any
    direction. It's really weird to have that home between two "modern"
    developments. But nice.

    -georg
  7. Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

    "georg" <thegeorg@stny.rr.com> wrote in message
    news:J8zae.6444$Bc7.5870@twister.nyroc.rr.com...
    > cluedweasel wrote:

    >>>There were 3 in my parents' home. It is a farm house built in 1869.
    >>
    >>
    >> Ha! Modern stuff :) We ended up with a former gameskeepers cottage
    >> built in 1668. I think the plumbing was still original!
    >
    > Well, if we lived in Europe, it would be modern.
    >
    > I think it's the oldest home around for at least 8 miles in any direction.
    > It's really weird to have that home between two "modern" developments. But
    > nice.
    >

    Anything, absolutely anything is better than the round about 1970s houses
    when rooms are little boxes. Oh, for a Victorian or Edwardian house with
    lots of nice tucked away cupboards - and an outside lavvie?

    GG.
  8. Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

    cluedweasel wrote:
    > On Sat, 23 Apr 2005 13:53:19 -0400, Jeff Zeitlin
    > <jzeitlin@cyburban.com> wrote:
    >
    >
    >>It's given that many houses in The Sims 2 aren't going to be entirely
    >>realistic; the program *does* have limitations. One limitation, though,
    >>that shouldn't exist is the CLOSET.
    >
    >
    > A great many older houses outside of North America have no closets at
    > all. Came as a bit of an unpleasant surprise to my wife when we moved
    > to England!

    Yeah but the Sims don't live in England. They live in Simland. ;-)

    --
    --Cuth
  9. Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

    TVTrukChik wrote:
    > Jeff Zeitlin wrote:
    >> It's given that many houses in The Sims 2 aren't going to be entirely
    >> realistic; the program *does* have limitations. One limitation,
    >> though, that shouldn't exist is the CLOSET. People have closets.
    >> Closets are good places to store clothes (and other stuff). But you
    >> don't get them in The Sims 2. Why not?
    >>
    >> Or do we?
    >>
    >> Has anyone made up any closet objects? I envision a closet as being
    >> functionally identical to a dresser/armoire, but in appearance, it
    >> would be just a bar with clothes hanging from it, one square in size.
    >> Optionally, it would come with a door in front of it. You would
    >> build walls around three sides of a single square, and place the
    >> object so that it's accessible through the fourth side. Double-wide
    >> closets might exist as well.
    >>
    >> Clues? Pointers? Ditto to tools that I could use to create one via
    >> some sort of simple hackery?
    >>
    >> --
    >> Jeff Zeitlin
    >> jzeitlin@cyburban.com
    >
    > MTS2 has something that sounds like what you're looking for. It's
    > currently on the 2nd page of Hacked Objects in the Downloads section.
    > The thread title is "Testers Wanted: Clothing Rack Dressers".

    Yep. You can build your own walk-in closets with those.

    Jeanie
  10. Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

    Mike Andrade <ma@box.invalid> wrote:

    >Here's a way to make a closet. Go to modthesims2.com and download
    >the "shop at home" package. You can then build a small room and put
    >in shelves (there are also shelf units available at mts2) and then
    >put in a couple of the shop at home clothes racks. You can put a
    >door on it if you wish.

    I think you're missing my intent - this is not to be able to avoid going
    to community lots to go shopping; this is essentially a replacement for
    the (IMO overly large) dressers/armoires that come with the game - IOW,
    it would have the same outfits - only - that a dresser would in the same
    context.

    (A nice touch would be to make dressers/armoires/closets that could only
    be used by a particular Sim, much like the dorm bedroom doors in Uni,
    but let's not let this idea get completely out of control...)

    --
    Jeff Zeitlin
    jzeitlin@cyburban.com
  11. Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

    cluedweasel <cluedweasel@gmail.com> wrote:

    >On Sat, 23 Apr 2005 13:53:19 -0400, Jeff Zeitlin
    ><jzeitlin@cyburban.com> wrote:

    >>It's given that many houses in The Sims 2 aren't going to be entirely
    >>realistic; the program *does* have limitations. One limitation, though,
    >>that shouldn't exist is the CLOSET.

    >A great many older houses outside of North America have no closets at
    >all. Came as a bit of an unpleasant surprise to my wife when we moved
    >to England!

    Also true of many older residences in the United States, especially in
    older apartment buildings in older sections of older cities (NYC and
    Boston are particular 'offenders'). Still, The Sims isn't limited to
    modelling that sort of thing; you can build modern-looking houses (and
    with recolors and hacks, ultra-modern as well), so such houses SHOULD be
    able to have modern facilities - like closets.

    Although that does suggest the possibility of recoloring one of the
    armoires to look like the cheap aluminum 'closet' that my grandparents
    had in their bedroom thirty years ago...

    --
    Jeff Zeitlin
    jzeitlin@cyburban.com
  12. Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

    TVTrukChik <tvtrukchik@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >MTS2 has something that sounds like what you're looking for. It's
    >currently on the 2nd page of Hacked Objects in the Downloads section.
    >The thread title is "Testers Wanted: Clothing Rack Dressers".

    BINGO! and THANK YOU! This appears to be EXACTLY what I'm looking for.

    --
    Jeff Zeitlin
    jzeitlin@cyburban.com
Ask a new question

Read More

Sims Games Video Games