How do I reach 1600mhz without OC?

dockilljoy

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2011
Hello,
I have G.Skill 1600mhz 8gb 2x4gb RAM and I wanna be able to use all the speed I'm paying for without OC. I haven't bought my mobo yet, but only because I cant find any that fit my socket type and reach 1600mhz without OC. Does this mean I can't get 1600mhz without OC, or I just have to wait for my mobos to come out for my socket type. (i5 2500 LGA 1155) I'm really sorry if I don't put enough information in the initial post. First time building my computer. Thanks again.

drums101

Distinguished
Yes you will be able to use your RAM at 1600mhz without ocing your cpu.....im guessing you have some core i series cpu? If so all you have to do is adjust the ram multiplier.....you wouldnt mess with the base clock so the cpu wouldnt be oced.....if you get a higher end board it might have some sort of setting that will identify the ram for you. if not you can easily adjust it yourself.

Technically for any Sandy Bridge CPU, anything above 1333MHz RAM is overclocking. It's not really overclocking though, as all of the boards have multipliers for 1600, 1866, and 2133 RAM -- even the ones from Intel.

You will need to get a P67 board. The H67 boards cannot go above 1333 at all.