No video output signal from 8800 GTS OC in ASUS m3n-HD HDMI

samtuke

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2009
Hi,

I just upgraded my mobo from Abit KN9 Ultra to an ASUS m3n-HD HDMI.

I moved my old Nvidia 8800 GTS 320mb PCIe card from the abit to the asus mobo.

However, now for some reason I cannot get the 8800, which has never had any problems whatsoever, and has never been overclocked beyond its factory overclocking, to give any video output whatsoever, OR be recognised by any operating system as being present.

I've updated the BIOS on my new mobo to one released last month. I cannot find any bios updates for the gfx card itself (its made by BFG and its a 320mb OC edition of the 8800gts).

The only video that I can get is via the onboard video from the mobos chipset.

I have looked around the BIOS at length, but there is only a setting to either have onboard video set to auto (which switched onboard video off if other video card is detected) or set the onboard video to always on. I've currently set it to auto, which is the default.

There is one other setting which seems relevant and that is one which sets what the primary video adapter is, and this is currently set to pcie (the default).

Also, there are two full size pcie slots on this mobo (its sli), one is pcie 16x, the other 8x, according to the manual. I have only tried my 8800 in the 16x slot, not the 8x slot. I dont know if it would work in there or if I risk damaging the card if I try. If there is no risk however, then I could try putting it in the other slot to see if I get any detection or output.

One other thing is that during the move from one mobo to the other I accidentally forgot to put the extra pcie power connector from the PSU into the 8800 on one boot. A loud constant warning beep went off. I switched off the machine and plugged it in, and the turned on. I have made this mistake before and it never killed the card in the past. Also I didnt get any video signal before making that mistake this time (the problem appears to have existed before I did this). Nonetheless I suppose its possible that this damaged the card and have now made it inoperable.

I'm really running out of ideas. I find it VERY hard to see how the card is faulty or damaged. Could it be a compatibilty issue? Please give me some suggestions and ideas to try!

Thanks,

Sam.

BTW Running Kubuntu 9.04 here, but that makes no difference to this problem.