Sign in with
Your question

Zalman SSD

Last response: in Storage
January 8, 2011 2:23:15 PM

Anybody have a Zalman SSD or know anything about them?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

More about : zalman ssd

January 9, 2011 8:22:30 PM

Yeah, TH did a review of the N Series here:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ssd-raid-performanc...

I liked what I saw, and got two for this new build. But I need good all around performance for a lot of different things. It may not be the drive for everyone, but it stayed mid to upper end in the pack across most benchmarks, which is exactly what I wanted.
m
l
Related resources
a b G Storage
January 9, 2011 9:47:26 PM

Do you know that 90% time the rig READ the SSD and not write right? so, the 4K are the most important in the SSD, in that part, the C300 is the best.
m
l
January 9, 2011 10:05:43 PM

the Crucial C300 256GB version is a good all around drive too, but for people that do a lot of write operations, it's one of the worst to get.

http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/ssd-charts-2010/Fres...

I do a lot of write operations.

SSD is really one of the places you need to look closely to find the drive that best suites your needs. Zalman N-series wasn't really that weak anywhere. It won't be the drive for everyone. But I already said that.
m
l
a b G Storage
January 9, 2011 10:09:18 PM

That's is a good point.

If you do a lot of write, get a Vertex or SSD with SandForce controller, but if your only need read, the C300 is the way to go.
m
l
January 9, 2011 10:19:35 PM

The Zalman N-series uses the Sandforce controller, which is one reason I chose it. That was one focus of the first TH article I posted.

When you get a situation where no one component kills everything else at EVERYTHING, then you are left to having to decide on one that does everything pretty well. I think I will be happy with the Zalmans- don't know yet, this new build (in my sig) is still on UPS trucks somewhere. :) 
m
l
a b G Storage
January 9, 2011 10:26:01 PM

If your will do RAID 0 on those Zalman, you will have performance problems.
m
l
January 10, 2011 4:33:23 AM

I have the Crucial C300 penciled in as one of the SSDs I am considering, while my Gigabyte motherboard supports SATA3, it is on a Marvell controller, which I am not too enthusiastic about hooking up an SSD to. I think SATA2 on the Intel P55 chip is where I want an SSD, so the Crucial loses a little of that 6Gb/s edge for me. I'm pretty sure I need a well rounded SSD, performance-wise. I use video and photo editing software, while I have a number of additional drives, the boot drive gets a pretty good workout.
There always seems to be some issue with nearly every SSD, like OCZ Vertex firmware/Gigabyte BIOS issues that have taken that SSD out of consideration, the Zalman looks good performance and price wise, but seems a little thin on support.
Trying to find the right SSD is a bit of a challenge. If they weren't as expensive, it wouldn't be as much of a problem.
m
l
January 10, 2011 12:20:49 PM

ronbo613 said:
the Zalman looks good performance and price wise, but seems a little thin on support.

I don't know what kind of support you are talking about. About the only thing applicable would be a future firmware update, if ever needed.

The Zalman N-Series already:

Optimized for AHCI Mode
Support WIN7 Trim Command
Read up to 280MB/S
Write up to 270MB/S
SandForce Technology Inside
Ultra fast start-up and access speed
Reliable
Silent and low power operation

http://www.zalman.co.kr/ENG/product/Product_Read.asp?id...

Works for me. And I will not flash drive firmware on existing op sys drives, unless rewiping totally with new install. Only on a new build if new firmware is available.
m
l
January 10, 2011 2:14:11 PM

Yep I am getting rid of my old Indilinx OCZ drives and will probably go with Zalman as well.
Studio I guess you are setting yours up in a RAID array?
m
l
January 10, 2011 2:48:17 PM

willmalcom said:
Yep I am getting rid of my old Indilinx OCZ drives and will probably go with Zalman as well.
Studio I guess you are setting yours up in a RAID array?

No sir. If I was focused on setting up a RAID array, or intended to with this set of hardware, I would probably not be going with Zalman. Saint makes that point above.

I prefer to keep the RAID subsystem out of my loop, and instead just manage data flow a little between two drives. That's not practical for some corporate environments, but I am not dealing with that for this particular system.

I'd rather do RAID with a 4 drive minimum, and I just am not up for that right now.
m
l
January 10, 2011 3:00:40 PM

Quote:
I don't know what kind of support you are talking about.

Well, their website has very little information about the SSD drives, no FAQ, the Zalman forum doesn't have a storage or SSD section. Operating out of South Korea, I wonder how any problems or RMAs will be handled. I didn't see any warranty information either.
Don't get me wrong, I've used Zalman coolers on a number of computers and never had any problems, but an SSD is a different deal.

Quote:
About the only thing applicable would be a future firmware update, if ever needed.

Ever hear of an RMA?

Quote:
Optimized for AHCI Mode
Support WIN7 Trim Command
Read up to 280MB/S
Write up to 270MB/S
SandForce Technology Inside
Ultra fast start-up and access speed
Reliable
Silent and low power operation

The read and write specifications may vary, but that is the general description of any Sandforce SSD.

Quote:
If your will do RAID 0 on those Zalman, you will have performance problems.

I don't claim to be an SSD expert, but I don't believe I've heard of a motherboard that supports all SSD functions(like TRIM) using Windows 7 or Linux in a RAID configuration. I could be wrong, but from the information I've seen, the consensus is that one large SSD is generally better than two smaller ones in a RAID array. Perhaps sacrificing reliability for a little more speed is possible with SSDs in a RAID 0, but I'm more interested in a problem free system drive.
m
l
January 10, 2011 3:39:12 PM

They do have a forum for SSD here in product reviews:
http://forum.zalmanusa.com/phpBB3/viewforum.php?f=136

And I've definitely seen worse customer service centers/RMA forms:
http://www.zalman.co.kr/ENG/Contact/RMA/Rma.asp

I have Newegg standard 30 day return, and a 3 year parts/labor limited manufacturer warranty.

Zalman has made a pretty good name for itself, and I don't see why their customer service would be that much worse than any others as things go.

That's a tremendous leap of faith. I know. :) 
m
l
a b G Storage
January 10, 2011 4:09:52 PM

ronbo613 said:
Quote:
I don't claim to be an SSD expert, but I don't believe I've heard of a motherboard that supports all SSD functions(like TRIM) using Windows 7 or Linux in a RAID configuration. I could be wrong, but from the information I've seen, the consensus is that one large SSD is generally better than two smaller ones in a RAID array. Perhaps sacrificing reliability for a little more speed is possible with SSDs in a RAID 0, but I'm more interested in a problem free system drive.
Quote:

You are right, TRIM isn't supported on RAID 0 or RAID 0 partitions, but you also need keep in mind that that little more speed will drop as soon as you SSD have more garbage.
m
l
January 10, 2011 5:16:21 PM

Quote:
You are right, TRIM isn't supported on RAID 0 or RAID 0 partitions, but you also need keep in mind that that little more speed will drop as soon as you SSD have more garbage.

That's why I think, unless you are an SSD expert, running an SSD with the OS on it should be installed in a compatible environment; like AHCI in Windows 7, which supports SSD features to keep it running efficently, or go with a drive, like Intel, that provides tools to maintain the drive in other operating systems.

Quote:
They do have a forum for SSD here in product reviews:
http://forum.zalmanusa.com/phpBB3/viewforum.php?f=136

And I've definitely seen worse customer service centers/RMA forms:
http://www.zalman.co.kr/ENG/Contact/RMA/Rma.asp

I didn't check under the marketing section for the SSD, I was more interested in support. Usually when a new product comes out, there is plenty of online action; good and/or bad. I did see the RMA form. I have some experience with parts from Asia; the RMA procedure can be a long one.

Quote:
I have Newegg standard 30 day return

I'm seeing a limited return policy, which means exchange only, no refunds. If I buy this drive, it will be from Newegg, so I would agree with you that the terms are about as good as you're going to get.

Quote:
That's a tremendous leap of faith. I know. :) 

I hear ya. I really would like to get an SSD, but there are so many factors. I always want to get the latest, fastest thing, but over time, I've learned to be more restrained. With Gen 3 SSDs about to come out, I feel I should wait until they do to see which way things are going to go.

m
l
!