Whats with the insane price increase in gpu's?

dacca

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2009
hey alll, just upgraded my pc, added an xfx 4890, looking on the ebuyer site, i see that the same card i got has shot up from 129.99 including vat, to 194.99! that is insane! im so glad i upgraded when i did! anyone know why there is the sudden price increase? i was gunna go sli soon aswell! but im waiting now!

Inventory is low, and price operates by supply and demand. Demand, and hence price will drop off once the new cards are released, maybe. After all, like Crashman said, memory prices have a bit to do with it as well

dacca

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2009
sweet, well whatever the reason :) i got a beast of a card 65 quid cheaper than retail now :) now if only i could sort out this cpu bottleneck i would be a happy man:) slight side track on this forum post, does anyone know what system toms hardware tested their gpu's on for the gpu charts?

beninchi

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2009
When you consider the performance you get witnh current generation cards, the prices are still dirt cheap. When you get can a 4870 for $130 when it used to cost $400

dacca

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2009
yeah definately its great, however when i run a 3d mark test and a 3d mark vantage test i get the same score that i got with my 8800gtx, now im not an expert on computers but im sure my cpu cant be such a bottleneck that i get the same results? can it?

dacca

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2009
cool, any recommendation of which one to go for? my friend says anything over 3ghz would be good? is it better to go quad or tri core?

dacca

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2009
i have just upgraded to latest bios under recommendation from xfx, they told me the poor performance from my 4890 is due to bios being out of date, when i questioned them on this and said are you sure it is not my cpu bottlenecking, they believe that this is not the case, i asked why my score on benchmarks is so low compared to other systems with the same card, they said it is an isolated incident...... i gave up with the ticket after this, so my board supports am3 cpu then? also any idea how good this board is for oc'ing? i cant seem to overclock this cpu at all! any recommendations for a good cpu that aint gunna break the bank?

JofaMang

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2009
If you are really strapped for cash, the 710 x3 is cheaper than the 720, and from what I have gathered, the 720 doesn't overclock any higher on stock HSF than the 710, just easier through unlocked multiplier. I have attained 3.35ghz on my 710 stable, but keep it generally at 3.1ghz, as it is the highest I have been able to run it stable undervolted by -.025v. Every chip is different, but just some food for thought.

It feeds my 4870x2(stock clocks) really well, so I can't imagine it being a bottleneck for a single 4890, at least not at OC'd speeds.