AUTOMATIC RESTARTS,Tried changing SMPS

nix_88

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2009
Hello,
My system's configuration is:
1)Intel Extreme series DP45SG motherboard
2)Intel Core 2 Quad Q8400 processor(2.66Ghz 4MB L2 cache 1333Mhz FSB )
3)Transcend DDR3 4GB RAM 1333Mhz
4)XFX Nvidia GeForce 9400GT Graphic card
5)1TB Seagate Hard Drive
6)19 inch Samsung LCD screen
7)Samsung DVD RW
8)ATX Cabinet with 750W SMPS

I purchased this system on 18th July 2009 and got it assembled from a local hardware dealer in Mumbai,India.
Initially my system had a 500W SMPS and it refused to turn ON(didn't even reach boot screen,screen remained blank).
Then I replaced the SMPS with a 550W one and it started working.
But it kept restarting on its own.
Restart After 2-3 hours on being left idle,
after 30-40 minutes of video playback.

So I spent more cash and got a 750W SMPS and just tried running the system and it restarted again.
I have tried 3-4 SMPS's ranging from 500W to 750W.
All parts are newly purchased and are unlikely to be defectve.
The RAM is OK.
BIOS has been updated to latest.

Please help me troubleshoot this problem.
I spent a lot of money(now after the 750W SMPS the total cost is past 50,000 Indian rupees=1000$ US) on this system and really need to make it work!
I'm running out of ideas and money to spend now.
Please help me!

nix_88

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2009

Thank you for replying.

It does NOT shut down, it RESTARTS.
The earlier PSU's that I tried were crappy local brands(imported from China).
Intel had advised me to get a PSU of minimum 500W for my config.
Now this 750W SMPS has cost me 6000 rupees(approx 120$ US)
This is the one I bought: http://www.kunhar.com/vipcabinets/smps.html
I know its not Coolermaster,Antec or Corsair.
But it is a trusted Indian brand.Although with PSU's there is every chance that even this brand might be a crappy one. :D

That's the sad part,the harware components are under warranty,the system as a whole isn't!
I have taken the system to the dealer 2-3 times to get ir fixed.He has tested all components and he has tried a whole bunch of SMPS's on my system and it till RESTARTS.Basically its beyond him now!Most hardware dealers here don't understand the DP45SG mobo and are working with it for the first time He has tried everythng he knows.And since the individual components are all fine he can safely wash his hands off it.That's how things work here.

Can there be any other cause for Random RESTARTS apart from the PSU?
How much power doe 9400GT use up?

hefox

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2007
Your system doesn't need a PSU bigger than 450W. Even a 400 W good PSU can do the job. I really don't understand why you spent so much money buying such a PSU. You can buy OCZ or Corsair 700W-750W with this money.
Now about your restart... A long time ago I had a similar problem. Everytime I was opening a movie with windows media player, the laptop was restarting. The temp of the videocard was getting too high. Problem solved with a newer bios and drivers. You should check your temps but I don't think is the same problem because your temp should be low on idle.
I suspect it is your psu. You should check your voltages.

Not in India. India is a lot like Saudi Arabia - lots of expensively priced junk. I do agree about checking voltages: yellow wires should be 12 volts, red wires should be 5 volts, orange wires should be 3.3 volts, violet wire should be always on and 5 volts, blue wire should -12 volts. The grey wire should go to around 5 volts when the case power switch is pressed. All outputs except the grey wire should be +/- 5%. You can check at the back of the main power connector (carefully, carefully).

I followed the link to the power supply - no specs. It does look like a pretty crappy unit.

nix_88

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2009
Thanks for replying everyone!
Well one guy at Intel had recommended an SMPS of minimum 500W.
And another guy at Intel told me to get an 800W one.
And since the restart issue was persisting with the crappy 550W SMPS,I decided to go for this 750W one.Well in hindsight I think I should have gone for Corsair but I wasn't aware of its availability in the Indian market.
Most hardware dealers here in Mumbai sell local brands of PSU's
Well actually now I'm testing the system on this 750W one.
I haven't played any video and the system hasn't restarted in the last 12 hours.
So when left idle the system didn't restart.
So I guess the issue is specific to video playback.
What temperatures are safe for the GPU(Mine is 9400GT
)?
Is there anything I can try before changing the SMPS?
Is there any virus or malware that can cause the system to restart randomly?
I think I'll test the system on video playback again tomorrow.
Because changing the PSU and getting it exchanged will be a big hassle.
On normal usage without any video playback the system hasn't restarted in 12 hours.

nix_88

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2009

Thanks for replying everyone!
Well one guy at Intel had recommended an SMPS of minimum 500W.
And another guy at Intel told me to get an 800W one.
And since the restart issue was persisting with the crappy 550W SMPS,I decided to go for this 750W one.Well in hindsight I think I should have gone for Corsair but I wasn't aware of its availability in the Indian market.
Most hardware dealers here in Mumbai sell local brands of PSU's
Well actually now I'm testing the system on this 750W one.
I haven't played any video and the system hasn't restarted in the last 12 hours.
So when left idle the system didn't restart.
So I guess the issue is specific to video playback.
Now about the voltages,I didn't check with a multimeter but SpeedFan shows the voltages as +5.00V,+3.30V and +11.95V.
Also how does SpeedFan measure GPU temperature?Where are the sensors?It shows my GPU temperature as 50C
What temperatures are safe for the GPU(Mine is 9400GT
)?
Is there anything I can try before changing the SMPS?
Is there any virus or malware that can cause the system to restart randomly?
I think I'll test the system on video playback again tomorrow.
Because changing the PSU and getting it exchanged will be a big hassle.
On normal usage without any video playback the system hasn't restarted in 12 hours.

Jellaxy

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2011
you dont hav any pblm with psu.that 750 is more than enuf.ur recommended is 600 as always 20% xtra power is preferred.check ur graphics card..is it showing blue screen??then defintly its a hardware ware fault like gpu or hrd disk as ur ram is ok.u should hav ddr3 though.

Arunkumar_86

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2011
Hello Sir,

I got ur problem so now you don't exchange any of the components. If u have any important data in hard disk please take a backup from all drives and format the whole hard disk and don't do quick fromat do only normal format and check it out. iam sure that what the system was giving problem with restarting it won't restart now after formatting the whole hard disk. Please try this......

Regards,
Arun.