MSI P67A-GD65 B3 Overclocking question

soloby

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2011
Hi guys, I'm a first time builder and I think I got myself a pretty nice build (~$770)

Thermaltake V3 BE
MSI p67A-GD65
i5-2500k
CM Hyper 212
GSkill 8gb ddr-3 1333
EVGA gtx 460 1gb ssc
Antec 650w Earthwatts
Seagate 1TB 3.5" 7200

I'm now trying to overclock my cpu following this very helpful guide:

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/265056-29-2600k-2500k-overclocking-guide

But in my bios, I can't find

many of the things he has mentioned

Disable:

Limit CPUID Maximum
Power Technology
C1E Support
OverSpeed Protection
Spread Spectrum

Enable:

Internal PLL Overvoltage
Execute Disable Bit
Intel Virtualization Tech

I only see spead spectrum and Internal PLL Overvoltage

I'm guessing I have to update my mobo's BIOS but LiveUpdate 5 says there are no updates found for my system.

Anyone please give detailed info on what I am supposed to do? Thank you

All of these settings are in your Overclocking menu; however, if you scroll all the way to the bottom of that page you will see highlighted options you can select(CPU Specifications), I will compose a list of those when I get home and post them here as well as update the guide. Thank you for your inquiry.

Cheers.

soloby

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2011

Ok Thank you very much, I will wait until you get home and get right onto it with your instructions

In your main Overclocking Menu you will see:
Internal PLL Overvoltage
Spread Spectrum

If you scroll all the way down to the bottom of the section you will see "CPU Features." In here you will see the options for:
Limit CPUID Maximum
Power Technology
C1E Support
OverSpeed Protection
Execute Disable Bit
Intel Virtualization Tech

Make sure you have your BIOS updated past v1.7 to enable the PLL Overvoltage setting.

What version is your BIOS at right now?

soloby

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2011

hey sorry for the late reply, I don't think I have a v1.7 past yet, how do I update my BIOS?

MSI Live Update doesnt work very well so I wouldnt use that. What you will need to do is, go to this link and download the new bios: http://91.121.148.119/downloads/BIOS/E7681IMS.191

After you do that, place the file on a thumb drive and boot your computer into the BIOS. Then, Go to your settings page and click MFlash. Save your current BIOS to the drive and then flash the new BIOS onto the machine(it is automated.) Reboot and you should be good.

soloby

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2011

Hi, mrface, again, sorry for the late reply. I notice now that I can change the spread spectrum and internal pll overvoltage, but i cannot change anything under cpu specifications, how do I change this?

Sidenote: I notice on the BIOS it records my CPU temperature to be 44C???

Isn't that wayyy too high? With my core-temp, I record Idle to be around 36.

I was incorrect in my inital post to you about going into "CPU Specifications" section. You should be going into "CPU Features" like I said in the second post. The CPU specs section is a read only section so you can not change that information.

The BIOS temps are most likely incorrect. I would trust the core temp / real temp / speedfan results before those. Do you have a thermistor that runs to a digital readout on your cpu and/or case? If so, that will be the most trustworthy source for that information.

soloby

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2011

OK, thanks for clearing up that for me.

I am now overclocking and I am running prime95 to check the load

In your overclocking guide, you said I should be able to get 4.3-4.7 before it fails,

[Note: In MOST cases, you will be able to clock to 4.3 – 4.7 GHz before the system begins to fail.]

Is that without voltage tweaks? So if my goal is 4.3, I do not need to tweak my cpu voltage?

You shouldnt have to adjust the voltages too much to reach those speeds; from my experiences. Now you will need to test it under load for awhile to ensure stability. If it is unstable, then you should adjust your voltages.

Those temps seem a little high for 3.8. Make sure you have your heat sink secured properly onto your cpu. Did you put some thermal grease/paste on it? if so, make sure you spread it evenly and dont put too much on you cpu or you can actually decrease performance. Check your cable management to increase airflow inside your case. Are you pulling the warm across your mobo or do you have all exhaust fans?

soloby

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2011

Hmm.. My cable management is pretty good, maybe I can tighten down my CPU heatsink a little bit. Then I'll try to hit something like 4.2 and give you back the results.

How long should I run Prime95 for? (Maximum heat, power consumption, some RAM test)

soloby

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2011

OK. Now it seemed like my heatsink was a little bit loose, I tightened it down tightly and now it's running 4.2 @ 39 and 40 idle. Running 95 right now. What would you say is the safe temp under load?

My goal is 4.5ghz

soloby

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2011

55-60 under prime95 load???

That seems awfully impossible for me because I am at 4.2 running prime95 for ~15 minutes and seems to me temps stopped rising at 63 68 69 67, so should I underclock? I mean I'm pretty sure I'm never going to use it 100% this long..

My bad, I misunderstood you. Under 100% load that is fine, but you dont want to stay at those temps for a long time.

Are you planning to keep this OC for full time use?

Do you have your side panel on your case? If so, take it off and shut down your computer. After a few minutes, power it up, keep the side panel off, and run p95 again, see what kinda of difference that makes and let us know.

You are running a 2500K right?
If so that is about right then, IE, ~65-9C. for 4.2Ghz

soloby

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2011

Yes, this will be for a full time use (I have it on around 14 hours a day every day with 2500k)

Finally, I hit my goal!

4.5ghz and Prime95 for 20 minutes measured 67 71 72 70 and it does not look like it's going to go any higher.

Tell me if these temperatures look a little off, then I might get some Arctic silver 5 or something to drop it a little bit down, but that is with the panel on and I'll pm you later tomorrow on the temps with the panel off. (I have to go out)

Thanks so much for all the help mrface, you have left a new overclocker very satisfied!