AceIlluminati

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2006
45 minutes into a large FFT prime 95 test:

Speedfan is showing:

CPU: 60C
Core0: 82C
Core1: 79C

The cpu temp seems normal, but the core temps seem high to me. Thoughts? Should I look at improving this?

Nothing is overclocked.

TerminatorXT

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2009
do you have stock hsf?

and the core temps are hotter....

my q6600 at 2.8ghz with stock reached 60C with 73C for all 4 cores on prime95 after many hours

I don't know... but those temps are weird... and you also have a dual core, should be colder

Please use RealTemp, or even CoreTemp, instead of Speedfan to get accurate temps. Report those temps and tell us about your cpu, cooler, and case.

Then we can figure out whether you actually need to do anyhing, and what it might be.

AceIlluminati

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2006

I have stock hsf. They didn't get any hotter than this. They just leveled off at this while prime95 kept running.

AceIlluminati

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2006

Ok, I'll try those programs. I used pc wizard 2009 to see if speedfan was way off, they reported the same temps. But I'll check those programs as well later when I get home.

As far as cpu/cooler/case: c2d 8400, stock hsf, antec 300 case. top and back 140mm/120mm exhaust, 1 side 120mm over gpu intake. Pretty good cable management (all tucked behind bay), needs to be cleaned though, getting canned air today for that.

I'm expecting RealTemp to relieve most of your concern by reporting a double-digit "drop" in temperatures vs Speedfan. Happens all the time.

Anyhow - based on your configuration - the temps you are reporting aren't possible unless your cooler is improperly installed (one or more pins not really behind the mobo) and/or your room temperature is extraordinary.

Of course, I trust you would have mentioned any overclocking, case/cooler fans not spinning, or if your case air vents are blocked :)

AceIlluminati

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2006
I just switched cases recently and had a look at the back of the motherboard while swapping it and all the pins were thru the motherboard and fully in the back. Room temp is normal. And ya, all fans are working and vents are pretty open.

I'll check RealTemp later to see.

AceIlluminati

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2006

I blew out my case, and cpu hsf, and it lowered the temps.
That's from PCwizard 2009, but the numbers were the same as realtemp, and coretemp, and speedfan. I ran them all. This is during prime 95 large FFT test.

Hardware Monitoring : Winbond W83627DHG
Voltage CPU : 1.18 V
+3.3V Voltage : 3.26 V
+5V Voltage : 5.04 V
+12V Voltage : 12.51 V
Processor Fan : 1834 rpm
Processor Temperature : 52 °C
Mainboard Temperature : 31 °C
Power/Aux Temperature : 20 °C
:
Processor : Thermal Diode
Intel Core 2 Duo (Core 1) : 75 °C
Intel Core 2 Duo (Core 2) : 71 °C
:
Hard Disk Monitoring : S.M.A.R.T
Hard Disk Hitachi HDT725032VLA360 : 35 °C
Hard Disk SAMSUNG HD502IJ : 24 °C

Before I cleaned, they were 83/79 for cores, and 60 for CPU.

I plan on doing more though. I plan on adding 2 120mm intake fans to the front, as I have none now. I will have more intake than exhaust then, which from what I have been reading, should help. I could also turn up my case fans..they are only running medium power. Thanks for the help.

Odd that Speedfan and RealTemp recorded the same temps. Anyhow, you might try putting in one intake fan and taking a reading, then the second and another reading. You might find gains from the second intake fan are minimal in your case. Or you might be able to run the two new fans slower and quieter while still getting most if not all of the cooling 2xHiSpeed gave you.

Sometimes positive air pressure can create hot spots, although its unlikely they would affect your cpu temps (assuming your exhaust fan is behind your cpu cooler)

AceIlluminati

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2006

Ya they were all identical. Ran them all at the same time, same exact temps.

I'll get 2, and see if I can run them all at low or medium, because I would like quiet too if possible. I'm hoping any air stuck in the case below the gfx card will get pushed out the video card grill, and anything above the gfx card should go out the 2 exhaust fans, behind and above cpu cooler.

Thanks for the help.

AceIlluminati

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2006

I got a cooler master hyper tx2, dropped my cores 30 degrees, cpu dropped 15 degrees or so. So now during a large fft prime95 test, my cpu is 37C and the cores are 47/44. Pretty sweet hsf..lol