Windows XP is stuck in continuous loop in startup sequence

ghostmij11

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2009
My windows xp is stuck in a loop where when it is loading to start up, it restarts and does it again. I've tried running it in safe mode, but it does the same thing. I've also tried selecting the option so it doesn't restart on system failure, but it gives an error message saying it has encountered a problem and said to disable or remove any anti virus software, but i cant even get into my desktop. Any help would be greatly appreciated, and fiy, I'm on my laptop :).

Andy2008

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2008
First, try to find a forum specific to your AV software - there may be a known solution for your case.

You could be in the realm of having to do a Repair Install of XP. Google for that and see how confident you feel that is going to be required.

Andrew

Xp is failing to start. Could be a Hard Drive problem, or it could be a corrupted install problem. I would advise you to burn a Linux Live CD, like Knoppix or the Trinity Rescue Kit, and back up your stuff before you do anything. If it could be a virus then you can scan it using the Trinity Rescue Kit. If that doesn't work they you can try to repair the windows XP installation or just format it and do a clean install.

ghostmij11

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2009
I really appreciate all of your help, i am currently installing the Trinity Rescue Kit, and will try that. I don't have an OS disk, and I'm not sure if it's attainable or not, but i really appreciate all of your help, and will keep you up to date with my problem, thank you.

ghostmij11

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2009
I had trouble with the trinity rescue kit, so i really have no idea what to do. I'm not an idiot, but I'm not a genious, so i really didn't understand most of this stuff, but i really need to resolve this problem. It would really help me if someone gave me in-depth instructions that I would understand, or at least be able to perform on how to fix this problem.

Well it's best to go to the TRK website if you need information. If you have it on a network type in the command

fileserver -g

And you will see it in one of the work groups calling itself TRK something or other. You can then pull the files you need to backup. If you want to run a viurs scan type

virusscan -a bde

to scan with bit defender. You can also use 'fprot' for Fprot and 'avg' for AVG.

Without the Windows XP disc you have a problem, I take it that you have tried hitting F8 on start-up and selecting Last known good configuration? You could download Heiren’s boot CD and running a disc scanning program from that. But if it was me I would get one of the many copies of the Windows XP disc available online. ;)

ghostmij11

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2009

I did try running in last known good config. And Is it even possible to run something like that when your in the start-up sequence?

ghostmij11

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2009
Im very confused of all of this, and i think i will try to clear everything and use recovery disks that i made. If anyone knows how to do this, i would appriciate knowing

garethdalley

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2009
hi im experiencing the same problem, i am unable to use any of the options on F8, i have formatted one of my 2 internal hard drives the second im currently taking all the info off via a bridge. Before bridging, my blue screen of death had gone but it was continuous loop, could there be a virus in my BIOS? I have removed all hardware apart from one stick of ram and graphics card still in. Could someone advise a way that i can prevent this loop happening again, by the way i have tried chkdsk /r and chkdsk /p couldnt get chkdsk /f to work though. thanks Gareth

ramprasath

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2011

dear pressing the first repair option u should get in to recovery console then go to the path c:\windows\system32\drivers there u will find a file update.sys u have to just rename it as u like eg: cool.sys then exit the console there u go!

mikegarcia

Honorable
Apr 8, 2013

John811c

Honorable
Apr 22, 2013

John811c

Honorable
Apr 22, 2013
Do not use a downloaded copy of XP because #1 you do not know if there is a virus attached to the download instead get yourself a good copy of the version of XP you are using also some computers have a restore partition and the OS is backed up there if yours is a major brand they may have put it on a hidden partition it depends on what brand as to what the access sequence is some have you hit f-key sequence at boot up