This is such an odd problem. Assistance Requested.

edeawillrule

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2008
My Dell Studio Desktop 540 came with a Radeon HD 3450.
I replaced that card with a 4670 I already owned.

My issue, in certain (most) applications my gpu is recognized as a "Radeon HD 3400 Series". Yet in others it is recognized correctly as the 4670.
I have uninstalled the drivers, used driver cleaner .net, driver sweeper, reg clean, ccleaner, advanced windows care, and reinstalled the drivers along with everything else I can think of with no results.

It really is quite odd. I've looked all over google and the whole internet (or at least it seems that way lol) with no other solutions to be found.

Here is a screenshot containing a perfect example of the 3400 and 4670 being listed at the exact same time: http://img198.imageshack.us/img198/1479/screenshot2m.jpg

I am running Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit with Catalyst 9.5.

If anyone can come up with a solution to this other than reformatting you will have my gratitude.

Gin Fushicho

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2009
All I can say is thats what happens when you get a Dell , and even if you did reformat it would still say the same thing because it is still on a Dell specific motherboard. Sorry. *shrugs*

edeawillrule

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2008

I wouldn't be so sure. The 4670 in here now had been in my mom's Dell Vostro 400 (Folding@home) that originally had a Geforce 8600 GTS in it and the Vostro didn't have this problem.

edeawillrule

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2008
The latest BIOS version is already installed. Oh I forgot to mention everything shows up correctly in Catalyst Control Center and in GPU-Z. Windows 7 recognized everything correctly when I tried dual booting btw so it can't be a mobo or hardware issue. Like the screenshot shows it Vista sees it as the 4670 but also as the 3400. It just doesn't make any sense >.<

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2008
Try uninstalling the drivers for both the GFX card and the monitor, booting in safe mode, clearing the registry with 'driver cleaner' or 'driver sweeper' (both can be downloaded freely) then reinstalling the drivers (the latest preferably). Appearently, your problem is cfaused by a driver conflict..Reformatting the HD and reinstalling a fresh OS can also fix it.

edeawillrule

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2008

I already did all that. I was hoping to be able to avoid reformatting but it's looking like that's the only solution.

edeawillrule

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2008

I'm one of the few people in the world that love Vista. I seriously think it's the best OS ever made. This is actually the only real issue I've ever had with it.

You know what's really weird about me though? I love Windows Vista but hate Windows 7. The name is so unbelievably lame. I mean come on. Windows 7? They can do better than that. What put me off the most about it is not being able to manually rearrange icons in detailed list view anymore which is so stupid.

xaira

Distinguished
put back in the 3400 series, uninstall all the drivers with the 3400 series installed so windows goes back to saying magnavox tv on blank, then install the 4600, install the drivers and you should be kool. but once the performance numbers are correct i dont see the need to hastle urself. remember when a program asks to restart, restart and make sure its correctly uninstalled in device manager and not just in prog and feat
hav phun, next year intel plans 6 core nehalem on 32nm, seriously, isx cores is that really necessary.12 threads can task manager handle that many graphs. i know it can, just , a home pc 6 cores 12 threads i dont care if its overkill i 1t 1

edeawillrule

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2008

The 3450 is actually in my mom's computer now (The Geforce 8600 GTS that was in there used more power than was necessary) so I'm just gonna reformat.

When I got this pc what I should have done is actually uninstalled the 3450 like you said. What I actually did was right when I took this thing out of the box I replaced the 3450 with the 4670 before I even turned it on the first time. Which I know was a stupid thing to do but I was just excited about finally having a new computer, and trust me you would have been ecstatic too if you had been stuck with an old Optiplex GX240 equipped with a 1.5ghz (Willamette) Pentium 4, 256mb SDRAM, 16mb ATI Rage 128 Ultra, 40gb HDD, all running Windows 2000 Professional :cry:

edeawillrule

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2008

I meant to put it was running Windows 2000 Professional up until the last 8 months I had it. Then I just got xp from someone and put it on there instead.

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2008
Each version of windows released faces the same refusal from the crowds at first (in fact newly released OSs has many issues as well), it takes 6 to 12 months for the ppl to get used to it and the issues to be fixed..When win XP first released everyone I know hated it to death, and now they stick it no matter what !! So I got sick of this cycle..