Sign in with
Your question

Boot Camp Hard Drive Capacity versus Listed Program GB Load Conflict.

Last response: in Storage
January 8, 2011 9:20:01 PM

Boot Camp Hard Drive Capacity versus Listed Program GB Load Conflict.

I have a MacBook Pro with Boot Camp dividing a 500 GB Hard Drive into both a 232 GB Windows 7 Drive (Upgraded from Windows Vista) and a 232 GB Snow Leopard Drive, due to the fact I have a lot of old PC Programs I still need to run, but like the reliability of the Mac Platform versus the series of failure-prone Dells I have owned for years.

Question is this - I have the partitioned 232 GB Windows 7 PC Drive, which says I now only have 8.3 GB of usable disk space left, and yet in adding up the volume of ALL of the Programs configured on the PC Drive, it totals only 84.91 GB of used Program Files space. Where is the additional drive space of 147.09 GB? I simply cannot figure out where it might have gone, or is being utilized. Could this be some kind of a partitioning issue? Or is there another explanation for this situation?
January 9, 2011 1:37:46 PM

How are you viewing the remaining space? If it is through Windows then you may want to check your documents folder or other user folders. Just looking at the program folders is not enough.

If you are trying to view this while booted into OSX, understand that permissions may not allow you to view the file/folder size. This is especially true regarding NTFS which OSX cannot write to natively. In essence we have more looking and poking around to do. You may find that someone has some music or movie files that are taking up the most space.

m
l
January 9, 2011 2:38:45 PM

beamj said:
How are you viewing the remaining space? If it is through Windows then you may want to check your documents folder or other user folders. Just looking at the program folders is not enough.

If you are trying to view this while booted into OSX, understand that permissions may not allow you to view the file/folder size. This is especially true regarding NTFS which OSX cannot write to natively. In essence we have more looking and poking around to do. You may find that someone has some music or movie files that are taking up the most space.

Beamj: Thanks for taking time to respond! I will start there, and see what exists in those areas.
m
l
January 9, 2011 4:39:37 PM

BeamJ:

Good input. And greatly appreciated. Recaptured 70 GB quickly, with another 70 GB I am working over right now. Looks like I can gather another 60-70 GB with further sleuthing and duplicative deletions of downloads, videos, music and less-than-necessary files.
m
l
!