I7 920 - Temperature Issues (no overclocking)

blueeyedsoulbrother

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2009
I just built a new system:

i7 920 (not overclocked)
ASUS P6T (not deluxe) mobo
6GB tri channel memory
Radeon HD4350

I've noticed my idle temp is around 130-140F and I just had it jump to 188F. I don't know exactly why it got pushed and if that level is dangerous but it set off the warning on my computer. It's in a Raidmax Smilodon case with 4 fans, the air coming out seems to be very cool. Not sure what the normal operating temps of this chip are and what I should do. Seems like I shouldn't really need another fan unless I'm overclocking right?

Suggestions? What is the standard operating range for this cpu at stock voltage? The only thing I did now that I hadn't before was hook up my second monitor to span desktops and was watching a DVD on one and web browsing on the other. Hardly anything processor intensive.

g3force

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2009

Are you using the stock fan? Did you reseat the heatsink previously? 188F is dangerously hot considering you haven't overclocked the chip. Check the voltage in the BIOS and see if it is indeed at it's stock voltage. Otherwise, this may be attributed to a bad seating of the heatsink, or insufficient pressure.

This looks like a classic case of an improperly seated HSF. You need to take off the HSF, clean off the old thermal compound, put on new thermal compound, and re-install the HSF. Be sure to read the directions on how to install the HSF. The pins need to turned the OPPOSITE direction as the arrows.

nickhoff

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2009
Those temps are very dangerous. 188F is close to 87c. Even O.C. at 4.0ghz I haven't seen over 71c. That was running prime95 for 30 hours. Even 54c idle is to hot, sounds like you don't have thermal paste on or you have to much.

XtremePower

Distinguished
May 31, 2009
I had the same problem with the HD4350. I put a little fan on it from an old socket 423 CPU heatsink and it works fine. It keeps the idle temp at 39C and load at 48C. Once I purchased the Raidmax Wind Storm chassis I didn't need the extra fan on the graphics card. The Wind Storm case has two fans on the side and they blow air directly on the Graphics Card, RAM and CPU.