Sign in with
Your question

NAS/SAN Solution for small business

Last response: in Storage
Anonymous
a b G Storage
January 8, 2011 10:51:33 PM

Hello,
I need a small business storage solution (at least 4TB) with RAID5 support, allowing to create volumes (LUN ? is it? ) that could be attached to different servers with good transfer rates between storage and the computers (at least the same transfer rate we would get with a computer with 5200rpm disk).
In the main server I will have Oracle VM SERVER with OCFS2 filesystem. It would be good to have a solution that would allow snapshots. Also I will like to have other partitions (LUNS ? is it?) attached to other computers. Other thing that would be nice is having NFS/SMB support...

Is there any solution like that under 1000usd?

Best Regards,
Fakada
a b G Storage
January 26, 2011 2:59:44 PM

Under $1000 will be tough,

A ReadyNAS NVX is a great choice, you could go with 4x1TB for about $1300

There are other solutions that would give you more future expansion options, but would cost more. (Remember, you get what you pay for!)

You can take a look at other Small Business NAS solutions here.

We have reviewed quite a few. ReadyNAS is our favorite due to features, reliability and support, so that is what you see most of at our site.

Best,
Roger.

Quote:
Hello,
I need a small business storage solution (at least 4TB) with RAID5 support, allowing to create volumes (LUN ? is it? ) that could be attached to different servers with good transfer rates between storage and the computers (at least the same transfer rate we would get with a computer with 5200rpm disk).
In the main server I will have Oracle VM SERVER with OCFS2 filesystem. It would be good to have a solution that would allow snapshots. Also I will like to have other partitions (LUNS ? is it?) attached to other computers. Other thing that would be nice is having NFS/SMB support...

Best Regards,
Fakada

January 26, 2011 3:27:33 PM

Along with the NAS unit that supports RAID 5, you might want to look into Units that support fiber. Maybe just between the server and the NAS, this way you have the read and write speeds + room to grow.

Just a thought
Related resources
a b G Storage
January 27, 2011 9:54:36 PM

Quote:

Yes! the solution you need is eBOX-N or this QNAS
January 28, 2011 3:48:52 AM

For under $1000, a SAN is out of the question.

Your best bet is to read and decide on the best NAS you can afford.
!