Aftermarket Cooler for 5870 that is smaller or equal in size to stock?

daingurse

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2011
Hello,I am looking for a cooling solution for my x-fired 5870's but one issue I know I'm going to be running into is space. The motherboard in my Alienware Aurora literally has no space between the two cards when they are installed. This gives me very high temps(38c-40c idle at 50% fan speed, after a good long session of gaming I max out at probably 85c-88c for the top card, bottom one probably 78c-85c) due to their close proximity, especially on the top card as it has no breathing room at all.

I assume this lowers the longevity of my cards in the long run and in the short run it is really ruining my quality of life. all this heat is pouring out of my exhaust fans and baking my small room. I live in Phoenix Arizona, so come summer I'm really going to be dying in here :( . So I'm looking for an after market cooler that would have a smaller profile(or equal) than the stock heatsink and cooler so they can actually fit side by side on my mobo.

I've never really researched these things before so I'm really having trouble finding information on the sizes of these after-market coolers. I could really use some suggestions.

daingurse

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2011
Thanks for the suggestions I'll look into that, I know the case is pretty small. I'd like to gut it but factoring all the costs makes it a pretty nonviable solution, think I'll just try and be content with what I got.