Sign in with
Your question

Wireless network found, but cannot connect

Last response: in Wireless Networking
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
December 27, 2009 1:29:39 PM

I was trying to make my sister-in-law's wireless connection secure (they've had wireless set up for awhile unsecured), and all seemed to go well until magically, it didn't. It allowed me to set up a password -WPA2/Personal, it was fine, other devices (ipod Touch and another laptop) connected to the network by putting in the right key. HOWEVER, the original laptop, now wants no part of connecting to this network. It finds the network, but doesn't even let me get to a stage at which I need to enter the WPA key. It automatically says it can't connect, and is very useless when I hit "Diagnose the problem". I am only marginally less clueless than the people that asked for my help, so please don't get too technical on me. I have spent hours trying to figure out what the problem is, and though I know it's obviously something with the computer's setting, I don't know what that is.

When I go to the Network and Sharing Center, rather than being a three-way "map", it's two - the computer, then the internet. There is nothing (ie, router) in between. I have no idea how to get that step back in there.

Thanks in advance, and I apologise for my complete ignorance.
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
December 27, 2009 1:33:39 PM

Maybe the laptop operating system or wireless adapter don't support WPA2 -- try WPA.
!