Disk Management

Tags:
  • Hard Drives
  • SATA
  • Disk Management
  • Storage
Last response: in Storage
January 9, 2011 5:25:00 PM

My "C" drive (a SATA drive) shows everywhere except in Disk Management. All other drives (DVD and 2 SATA storage drives) show in Disk Management. What can be the cause?

More about : disk management

January 9, 2011 5:28:05 PM

gradyinsocal said:
My "C" drive (a SATA drive) shows everywhere except in Disk Management. All other drives (DVD and 2 SATA storage drives) show in Disk Management. What can be the cause?

Win 7 with all WD drives
m
l
January 11, 2011 10:24:42 AM

Hi,

I take it that the C drive shows up in My Computer, but not in Disk Management? In that case it's probably not a HDD problem. Instead, those symptoms point to the TDSS rootkit. It can often go unnoticed for weeks or even months since it is somewhat hard to detect. I had the EXACT same symptoms when I had the TDSS rootkit: C drive no longer in disk management, other drives no problem. Took me over a month to find and remove it.

You can follow the procedure in the link below to detect/remove the TDSS rootkit:

http://support.kaspersky.com/viruses/solutions?qid=2082...

Make sure that both "Services and drivers" and "Boot sectors" are checked (TDSS often resides in the boot sector).

If the rootkit is removed properly and the machine rebooted, the C drive should reappear in disk management.
m
l
Related resources
!