Sign in with
Your question

Copying Windows 7 image to SSD?

Last response: in Storage
January 9, 2011 6:04:18 PM

I installed a new Crucial C300 64GB SATA III SSD in my machine this morning with the hopes of using the Windows 7 System Image feature to copy my windows install from my 1TB WD SATA III drive to the SSD, without the need to install clean from my disc and have to set up Windows all over again.

Problem is, the SSD is recognized in the BIOS and even in the Device Manager, but it does not show up as a volume under Explorer or when the Windows Image utility searches for available drives.

I know almost nothing about SSDs, so is there something I'm missing here?

Win 7 64
1TB WD Black SATAIII (boot)
1TB WD Black SATAII (storage)
160GB WD Green SATAII (more storage)
64GB Crucial RealSSD C300
a b $ Windows 7
a c 122 G Storage
January 9, 2011 6:57:29 PM

Yes, you'll want to install fresh or at least do a repair on the image you copied.

For one, your original HD install of Windows does not include TRIM support.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
a b G Storage
January 9, 2011 9:26:18 PM

Hi cocothemonkee and welcome to Tom's forum.

You can use the image to SSD and activate TRIM after the image, but I suggest you a clean installation in AHCI mode, is the best way to get the best performance of your SSD.

btw, you bought a very good SSD, I have one too.
m
l
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
a b G Storage
January 9, 2011 9:47:37 PM

I had the exact same problem and the only way around it was to do a fresh install as the others suggest. Win 7 system backup is the one dubious area of Win 7 I have encountered so far. Those in the know do not put much faith in it. So your not missing anything.
m
l
a b G Storage
January 9, 2011 10:45:25 PM

Since your other HDD is a WD, you can use Acronis WD Edition for free. Just install it and clone the partition to the new SSD. That is how I moved to my SSD and it was astonishingly easy.
m
l
January 7, 2012 10:55:37 AM

JackNaylorPE said:
Yes, you'll want to install fresh or at least do a repair on the image you copied.

For one, your original HD install of Windows does not include TRIM support.

nice signature, but you are still thinking about women and the chance of having sex
m
l
September 6, 2012 6:25:09 AM

cocothemonkee said:
I installed a new Crucial C300 64GB SATA III SSD in my machine this morning with the hopes of using the Windows 7 System Image feature to copy my windows install from my 1TB WD SATA III drive to the SSD, without the need to install clean from my disc and have to set up Windows all over again.

Problem is, the SSD is recognized in the BIOS and even in the Device Manager, but it does not show up as a volume under Explorer or when the Windows Image utility searches for available drives.

I know almost nothing about SSDs, so is there something I'm missing here?

Win 7 64
1TB WD Black SATAIII (boot)
1TB WD Black SATAII (storage)
160GB WD Green SATAII (more storage)
64GB Crucial RealSSD C300

I ran across this awesome app while searching to solve a similar problem.

http://www.paragon-software.com/technologies/components...

For $20, its WELL worth it if you are the type that would use this tool often.

Step 1: Install
Step 2: Follow the walk-through
Step 3: Done!

It formats the SDD properly, partitions for Windows (100M System & remaining for C:) , them images your existing partitions over.

For best performance, be sure to turn on trimming and ACHI if possible.

m
l
!