Sign in with
Your question

Possible I damaged motherboard?

Last response: in Motherboards
November 3, 2009 8:39:35 PM

This morning I was getting dressed and picked up a t-shirt off the floor, it hit my computer case door (aluminium) a few times and shocked it, when it happened the 4-5th/last time I noticed it was lighting up all the LED's on my computer and even on my keyboard.

Could this have damaged the computer ? It was turned off but still had the PSU on with power running into it.

More about : damaged motherboard

November 3, 2009 8:53:22 PM

well...ok, then what happened after that...have you turned your computer back on???
m
l
November 3, 2009 8:57:04 PM

I turned it on and it's seemed to load up fine, posting took about 10 seconds longer than usual. But I'm worried it could have damaged some internals
m
l
Related resources
November 3, 2009 9:01:48 PM

seeing as the case is grounded.....you shocking the case can not have possibly done anything to the motherboard......plus a surge of current wouldn't cause the lights on the keyboard to light up anyway as its a serial communications protocol......

chances are you are mostly making this up
m
l
November 3, 2009 9:32:05 PM

No, I am not making this up.

I stated what actually happened, the shirt hit the aluminium case door, lighting up all my fan LED's and my keyboard LED for a brief half second. Whilst the computer was powered off.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
November 3, 2009 10:16:25 PM

Since the machine works fine, my guess would be "no."
m
l
a c 195 V Motherboard
November 3, 2009 10:20:00 PM

I really dont see how this could have happened either.........that being said I did kill a Gigabyte 865PE chipset board ( forget exact model ) with static. That was through a USB connection on the front of the case and plugging in a headset on a cold dry day. It also was a known issue with the ICH5 Southbridge. Likely if it damaged the PC it would not have booted at all.
m
l
!