Sign in with
Your question

Raid 0 Setup - Bad performance

Last response: in Storage
January 9, 2011 7:47:31 PM

Hey everyone, I'm new to the forums here but looking for some solutions to this new Raid 0 setup I've created..

This is the system specs

ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3
AMD Phenom II X6 3.2GHZ
Patriot 6gb DDR3 1600MHZ
(2) Seagate 5900RPM 1TB Drives "Setup in Raid 0"
(2) ATI 5850 HD Radeon's 1GB DDR5 "Crossfire"
1000w Power Supply
Windows 7 64 Home Prem

So this is the issues I've been having or I think I'm having. I've never used Raid 0 before but I know it's set up right since I had to configure the driver to detect the drives when installing Windows 7, anyways when I got StarCraft II installed I played the game and noticed it took a serious amount of time to load the map and I was the last one done loading, so i figured weird maybe just the first time error, well over time this has continued and never stopped. All my loading times are extremely crazy...
Also i've noticed even copying files from my computer I can take a 20GB folder, and copy it to another location and when I click more details it says about (20MB a sec transfer rate) and I believe it cause it takes forever... also that speed gets worse and worse as time goes on.

I defragged the drives thinking that was the issue but I don't even know anymore... Just by installing windows and WoW and starcraft II it was 30% fragmented...

Any advice?
January 10, 2011 1:07:42 PM

Download a good HD speed checking utility and see where you stand. You can't rely on Windows telling you the transfer rate in that scenario. HD Tune allows for a trial...
January 10, 2011 1:50:38 PM

sadams04 said:
Download a good HD speed checking utility and see where you stand. You can't rely on Windows telling you the transfer rate in that scenario. HD Tune allows for a trial...

I downloaded the program and ran a few of the tests and this is what the numbers came out to be.

Transfer Rate
Minimum: 105.6 MBPS
Maximum: 218.5 MBPS
Average 173.9 MBPS

Access Time: 18.2 ms

Burst Rate: 184.9

CPU Usage: 3.2%

and for whatever reason it won't let me run the writing ones, says

"Writing is disabled"
"To enable writing please remove all partitions"

I only have 1 partition so don't know what it's talking about.
Related resources
January 10, 2011 2:02:56 PM

Those speeds are in line with a RAID 0 setup. No concerns there.. I did just notice you have 6GB of ram. 3 x 2GB?? If so, then take one out or add a fourth. You need to run in dual channel mode by installing memory in pairs (consult your MB manual). Not running in pairs will have you in single channel mode and will be slower.
January 10, 2011 3:49:33 PM

sadams04 said:
Those speeds are in line with a RAID 0 setup. No concerns there.. I did just notice you have 6GB of ram. 3 x 2GB?? If so, then take one out or add a fourth. You need to run in dual channel mode by installing memory in pairs (consult your MB manual). Not running in pairs will have you in single channel mode and will be slower.

Yeah I have 3 x2GB the RAM said it was Triple Channeled but I guess the board doesn't support that? I wouldn't really know much about all that... I guess I'll pull one out and run at 4gb for awhile and look for another to make it 8gb, does the ram have to be the exact same brand/model to run dual channel?
January 10, 2011 3:53:42 PM

It is recommended they be the same brand / model, but you can probably get away with being the same spec. If you can't get the same module, then get one with the same CL timings and voltage rating. ...and speed of course.
January 10, 2011 3:56:41 PM

Tripple channel memory is reserved for motherboards with tripple channel support. At the moment that is the LGA1366 (I7-9xx) platform and some Xeons. AMD AM3 platforms, like your X6, is a dual channel setup.
!