Intel 4500MHD or ATI 4530

gryphon333

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2009
Hi. I know, easy question right? I should obviously get the ATI 4530. However, it's $200 more and I'm not a gamer. The most graphics intensive things I do are streaming Hulu at 480p full screen and playing ripped DVDs with Quicktime. Occasionally, I might breakout Win Movie Maker and do a little editing of vids of my kid.

The card will be in a laptop that I will have connected to my 720p plasma via either a VGA cable or HDMI. I'll be using the laptop as an HTPC until I work up the cash to build/buy a dedicated living room unit. However, I'm really only interested in surfing the internet (streaming Hulu, Metacafe, YouTube, etc.), watching ripped DVDs, using my webcam, and playing ripped CDs/MP3s. I'm not going to be capturing or converting any TV or using it as an DVR/PVR.

Can someone out there give me a straight answer at to whether the Intel 4500MHD (even thought I know it's not a great card) will do the job for me?

Thanks in advance.

~Adam

gryphon333

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2009
Yeah, when I get the permanent unit in the living room I'll start worrying about Blu-Ray and HD vids on the HTPC. But I've lived without them this long that another year or so won't kill me.

edeawillrule

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2008

I can't wait til that day gets here lol. I hate P4s with a passion.

Just to be sure...you can't put a 4530 into a notebook. I hope you meant build a PC with one in it or use a notebook.

As for the P4 discussion - I just refurbished an HP notebook with a P4. Owner complained that it got too hot, and started smoking. Turns out the heatsinks were clogged with dust and the heatpipes ran right next to the power jack on the motherboard - melted the sucker down. Replaced the jack and such, but the machine still smells a bit burnt. P4 loads at 53C. Not bad for two fans in a notebook and some good TIM.

rewindlabs

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2009

Added a psu and graphics card to a P4 system i had lying around....runs L4D just fine....which is why i set it up....if everyone just weren't morons and expected a perfect gaming time with the p4 then we would be ok....but people look at the P4s clock rate and think its a powerful setup :pfff:

edeawillrule

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2008

Like I said P4s are ***.
They consume more power than an entire modern pc.
They deliver less than half the performance clock for clock when compared to a C2D (Conroe) not counting multi-threaded applications where the performance difference would be even larger.
They produce enough heat to keep the whole friggin planet warm.
And they are pretty much useless.

Gotta just love the remnants of Intel's megahertz myth marketing campaign that is still believed by so many *sigh*

rickzor

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2007

I own a pentium III 1.32ghz on a slot1 board and a sata hdd and i love it :D