I7 2600k + Asus P8P67 Pro

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Overclocking
  • Asus
  • BIOS
Last response: in Overclocking
March 18, 2011 5:07:01 PM

Ok so I bought the whole setup + a BIG Thermalright Archon for overclocking. I have some experience in OC'ing as I had my Q6600 at 3Ghz stable for over a year now.

Problem is I cant seem to OC my CPU in the Bios AT ALL! It just refuses to stick at anything above x3.4... Wont even do x3.5. When I use the Auto AI Overclocking thing in the Bios, all it does is boosts my FSB (BCLK) to 102 and there it stays. I know that Auto Overclocking stuff normally sucks but hell, I had to try something. Was going nuts...

Downloaded the latest Bios update from Asus.
Temps in CoreTemp is around 35 on Idle. Room temp is around 27 digrees.

Full system spec:
I7 2600K
Asus P8P67 Pro
CoolMaster GX 650W (I'm not happy with this PSU, system was suppose to be a quite system. This thing sounds like a jet...)
Corsair XMP 1600 2x2GB
AMD 6870

I'm including a couple of Pictures that I'm hoping someone will find useful.

As you can see in the picture above, I changed to multiplier, to no prevail...

Notice the CPU Ratio Range? When using the + and - to modify the multiplier, it stops at x34. I can type in a different amount like 35, but ill restart, boot into Windows (even in the Bios) and it still comes up as 3400Mhz!

I did go through the Tom's Guide to OC'ing 2600k/2500k but I couldn't see anything new there that's not obvious to an average OC'er.

Please can someone help. I REALLY don't want to let my Archon go to waste :( 

More about : 2600k asus p8p67 pro

March 18, 2011 6:34:32 PM

Do you have intel virtualization tech turned enabled?
March 18, 2011 6:45:21 PM

mrface said:
Do you have intel virtualization tech turned enabled?

Recently enabled it.

Going to try out http://www.overclock.net/intel-motherboards/916621-asus...
Hoping there guide might help me. Although i think my problem is something els and not the bios tweaks for the OC...
Related resources
a b K Overclocking
a b à CPUs
March 18, 2011 7:00:40 PM

Lian said:
Ok so I bought the whole setup + a BIG Thermaltake Archon for overclocking. I have some experience in OC'ing as I had my Q6600 at 3Ghz stable for over a year now.

Problem is I cant seem to OC my CPU in the Bios AT ALL! It just refuses to stick at anything above x3.4... Wont even do x3.5. When I use the Auto AI Overclocking thing in the Bios, all it does is boosts my FSB (BCLK) to 102 and there it stays. I know that Auto Overclocking stuff normally sucks but hell, I had to try something. Was going nuts...

Downloaded the latest Bios update from Asus.
Temps in CoreTemp is around 35 on Idle. Room temp is around 27 digrees.

Full system spec:
I7 2600K
Asus P8P67 Pro
CoolMaster GX 650W (I'm not happy with this PSU, system was suppose to be a quite system. This thing sounds like a jet...)
Corsair XMP 1600 2x2GB
AMD 6870

I'm including a couple of Pictures that I'm hoping someone will find useful.
]http://img10.imageshack.us/img10/9940/img0332cn.th.jpg
As you can see in the picture above, I changed to multiplier, to no prevail...

]http://img852.imageshack.us/img852/9537/img0333x.th.jpg
Notice the CPU Ratio Range? When using the + and - to modify the multiplier, it stops at x34. I can type in a different amount like 35, but ill restart, boot into Windows (even in the Bios) and it still comes up as 3400Mhz!

]http://img291.imageshack.us/img291/4007/img0334ai.th.jpg

I did go through the Tom's Guide to OC'ing 2600k/2500k but I couldn't see anything new there that's not obvious to an average OC'er.

Please can someone help. I REALLY don't want to let my Archon go to waste :( 
i7-2600k is overclocked by increasing its turbo multiplier, not its base ratio, so you'd increase the multiplier where it says "By All Cores". Also under the CPU features you can disable the last three settings, which are for C-states, to force it to stay in Turbo mode all the time.
a c 311 K Overclocking
a c 174 à CPUs
a b Ĉ ASUS
March 18, 2011 7:16:15 PM

Just for add.

The Archon cooler is Thermalright not Thermaltake.
March 18, 2011 7:17:00 PM

Crashman said:
i7-2600k is overclocked by increasing its turbo multiplier, not its base ratio, so you'd increase the multiplier where it says "By All Cores". Also under the CPU features you can disable the last three settings, which are for C-states, to force it to stay in Turbo mode all the time.

I dont know how I didnt know that :(  After all the reading and no where did I see "TURBO MULTIPLIER!".

I did however try and overclock the Turbo multiplier as you said, but not exactly sure what CPU features to disable to force Turbo Mode. Dont suppose you would know what there called? Coz i got back into Windows and still on 3.4Ghz.

Thanks though. Your Turbo core advice jsut gave me hope.
March 18, 2011 7:21:01 PM

Disable Intel CState if you see it and C1E support.
March 18, 2011 7:39:15 PM

C1E I disabled. which is 3rd from last and the 2 below it which (if I remember correctly) is C2E something and C6E something. Intel CState I cant find.
March 18, 2011 7:52:10 PM

Could it be that option isn't available in the latest bios? I wouldn't think so... But ye, still no success. Turbo is set to 4.4 right now. In Windows CPU-Z and CoreTemp reports 3.4.
a b K Overclocking
a b à CPUs
March 18, 2011 7:56:55 PM

Lian said:
C1E I disabled. which is 3rd from last and the 2 below it which (if I remember correctly) is C2E something and C6E something. Intel CState I cant find.
You disable the last three just like I said, which are all three of those you listed.
March 18, 2011 8:00:07 PM

I just ran Everest (Aida64 as its now known) and on the Benchmarks my CPU was reported as 4.4Ghz. Even with Prime running, why the hell doesnt CPU-Z show it as 4.4?

[Edit] Sweet Lord its fun to see my Aida Benchies destroying a I7-990X
March 18, 2011 8:09:24 PM

How are you verifying cpu speed? And are you testing under load?

Edit: which version of cpuz? try 1.57
March 18, 2011 8:21:41 PM

dulltack said:
How are you verifying cpu speed? And are you testing under load?

Edit: which version of cpuz? try 1.57

I was running CPU-Z 1.55 and here is my Aida pic.

There's definitly a big diff in speed between stock and mine.
a b K Overclocking
a b à CPUs
March 18, 2011 8:34:31 PM

Lian said:
GOD DAM CPU-Z 1.55!!!!!!!!!!

Just ran 1.57
http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=1718410

And Crashman, once again thanks. I would have been sitting here the whole bluddy weekend if it wasent for you!
I'm glad I could help.
May 1, 2011 9:39:10 PM

So essentially, regardless of your overclocking settings, the BIOS screen will always show the stock speed? And the only way to really see your overclocked speed is in a benchmark program like CPU-Z v1.57?

I was having the same issues as OP, and was ripping my hair out not being able to get the speed up at all.
May 2, 2011 7:34:33 AM

DrMunkey said:
So essentially, regardless of your overclocking settings, the BIOS screen will always show the stock speed? And the only way to really see your overclocked speed is in a benchmark program like CPU-Z v1.57?

I was having the same issues as OP, and was ripping my hair out not being able to get the speed up at all.

Yip, all that matters is your Turbo Multiplier. Completely forget about your normal multiplier and any program that tells you your running at 3400MHz.

Disable C1E for testing / stability purposes to keep your CPU on the Turbo multiplier. Currently I'm running at Turbo x47 with C1E enabled (for power saving).