majikwolf

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2011
i have had my computer for just about a year and have had no problems with it. i was burning a data disc and chose the like flash drive option. ever since that point my dvd burner will not open any disk. how can i fix this? I checked device manager it says its running properly, but also says windows did not load any related drivers and to check the driver details for more information. It shows 3 drivers only one is signed. I turned off the UAC and Digital Signature Verification. I've uninstalled and reinstalled the device and still no luck. I am running Windows 7 from factory in a Gateway nv5302u. I have even tried a complete restore. Any suggestions?

johnnyq1233

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2007
Well, you obviously chose the like Flash Drive option.
You have got to change that option back to dvd burner so you can burn to dvd(s).
What program were you using at the time of the burn?
Go back in that program and look at the preferences for burning options....etc....
But first, tell us the program you were using...

majikwolf

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2011
I selected the items and clicked send to D: . From that point i clicked the balloon to view the files and then selected burn to disc. the computer promted me with options like a flash driver or cd/dvd player. I chose like a flash drive. I assume it is windows explorer doing the burning. I reinsterted the disc and looked for a close session, but no luck.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Sounds like you are using Win 7's burning utility via Windows Explorer. Here is your answer, right from Windows 7 Help and Support itself.

Close or finalize a CD or DVD

Before you can use a recordable disc (such as CD-R, DVD-R, DVD+R, DVD-R DL, or DVD+R DL) formatted with the Live File System format in other computers, you need to close the current disc session to prepare the disc for use.

For more information, see Burn a CD or DVD in Windows Explorer.

To stop closing a disc session automatically
The disc session is closed by default when you eject a disc that can be burned in multiple sessions (called multi-session capable discs, such as CD-R, CD-RW, DVD+R, DVD-R, and BD-R discs), as well as for single-session capable discs (such as such DVD-RW, DVD+RW, DVD-RAM, DVD+R DL, DVD-R DL, and BD-RE discs). This is a system level setting that applies to all user accounts on that computer. You must be logged on with a user account that has administrative privileges to change these settings using the steps below.

You can change the close session settings for both multi-session and single-session capable discs by doing the following:

Click to open Computer.

Right-click the disc burner, and then click Properties.

Click the Recording tab, and then click Global Settings. If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

Do one or both of the following in the Global Settings dialog box, and then click OK:

If you don’t want to automatically close the session when you eject a single session-only disc, clear the Single session-only discs are ejected check box.

If you don’t want to automatically close the session when you eject a multi session-capable disc, clear the Multi session-capable discs are ejected check box.

To close a disc session manually
Click to open Computer.

In Windows Explorer, click the disc burner drive, and then click Close session on the toolbar.

The session will be closed, so the disc can be used in other computers.

Notes
After you close a disc session for multi-session capable discs, you can still add more files to the disc, but you must close each additional session to be able to use the disc on another computer. About 20 megabytes (MB) of disc space is used each time you close a session.

If you remove a disc from your burner without closing the disc session, you can close it later on. Just insert it back into your computer's disc burner and follow the steps above to close the session.

Some programs might finalize your disc instead of closing the current session. You can't add any additional files to a disc that has been finalized. When you burn a CD or DVD using Windows Explorer, the disc is not finalized.

majikwolf

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2011
Thanks for the input on the situation, unfortunately I have already tried that. When I put a new disk or even the original one I burnt, I do not get a close option on the drive. Both single and multi session are checked in my global recording settings. Still have problems.

majikwolf

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2011
Have used over 50 different discs in trying to figure this out, so faulty media is not the case. I thought the drive also but bios, disk management, device manager, and a dignostics program i ran show the device working propertly. altho disk management did have a puzzling entry. It had the system recovery drive listed, along with my c: drive, but above both of those there was a nameless entry the same size as my hard drive. I thought maybe it was a virtual drive and thats how the dvd rom was acting as a flash drive, but there is no way to name it , change paths, or delete it, and it does not even show as a virtual drive so that concluded my theory on that. I tried the UAC disabling and that allowed the drive to work for one disk then it stopped i disabled driver signing verification and put it into test mode those options did nothing..the system restore did nothing and gateway tells me i am out of warrenty with my receipt shows i have 6 months left...so am not dealing with them...i dont' know what else to try...lol...thank you for all your help and suggestions