schubz

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2010
Hello, Here are my specs

Windows 7 ULT
4GB Mem
ASUS p5k Motherboard
1 Pata HDD

These past few days i am unable to start my windows properly,on boot up it says Reboot and select proper booting device or Jmircon no disk drives detected,after several reboot later suddenly windows dectects the HDD and it works again.Can someone help troubleshoot.Thank you alot.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Sometimes this sort of intermittent problem is caused by a poor connection at a cable / pinout. Shut down, disconnect the power supply cord outside, and open your case. For BOTH ends of the wide 40-pin data ribbon cable, plus the middle connector if there is a second device on this cable, carefully disconnect it from the HDD (or mobo) and then plug back in again. Do this 2 or 3 times. Now do the same for the 4-pin Molex power supply to each HDD. This action will "scrub" the surfaces of the pins and connectors clean and may eliminate your problem.

Be careful not to damage the connectors (they are not terribly delicate, though) and not to disturb any other connections as you work. Check that all connections are good, then close up, reconnect power, and boot. See if the problem is gone and stays gone.