Replace Celeron with Pentium 4

dlmaldet

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2009
I have a Dell Inspiron 1000 and have recently replaced the factory Celeron 2.2GHz processor with a Pentium 4 2.2GHz processer...SL6J5. It works fine except that it runs at 1.2GHz. I have downloaded Rightmark and Notebook Hardware Control and am unable to increase the speed. My research has shown me that the 1.2GHz is the battery mode speed of the SL6J5 processor. The laptop seems to run a bit faster than before even at the slower speed. I have already updated the ram to 768Mb. Any help would be appreciated.

dlmaldet

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2009
Thank you for the comment. I did update the bios on the Dell website but unfortunately the most recent update is from 2005 and offered no help. I suppose it's my curse for owning a Dell. The bios offers no options to modify the processor speed. I've pretty much accepted that I can do nothing other than keep the P4 in at a lower speed or put the Celeron back in...and never buy a Dell again.

dlmaldet

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2009
Yes, but mine is running at a 12x multipier. The P4 has speedstep which lowers it to 1.2Ghz under battery power. Eventhough I've tried to force it to run faster nothing seems to work even when plugged in. My bus speed, when checked, was running at 100Mhz. I can check again to verify.