Wal-Mart Direct TV DVR Satillite Receivers?

Last response: in Home Theatre
June 7, 2005 4:18:23 AM

I want to go with Direct TV and get a DVR Satellite Receiver, maybe for 2
locations. If I bought 2 DVR's from Walmart would I have to pay anything
extra after the 4.95 charge for the second receiver?
If I just went to Direct TV and went with one of their ads with one DVR and
one receiver, how much would I have to come up with or for those that have
done either situation, which would be the best way to go? Thanks Ryan
June 15, 2005 4:16:36 AM

Six of one, half a dozen of the other. Many vendors operate off a commision
from DirecTV so they can afford to basically give away the receivers. The
only catch is you're locked into a one year contract a a minimum with either
choice. Also, the second receiver will cost you $4.95 / month (mirroring
fee), and you'll have to pay a $4.95 DVR fee unless you opt for the Total
Choice Premium programming package. They use to sell a LIFETIME TiVO
subscription for $249, but I think they did away with that. Another thing to
consider is if you buy from Walmart, will they install the receivers for
free? DirecTV will, and use new cabling. Some vendors that offer
installation for free contract the install to a third party and a lot of
them don't have good reputations. They have been known to use "used RG-6
cable", or substitute a lesser quality RG-59 which could cause you problems
either on even or odd transponders during reception. Then when you call them
back to complain they wind up charging you extra for a "repair" of something
they caused by inferior workmanship or product. DirecTV stands by their
install with the first 90ft of cable for free.
Anonymous
June 28, 2005 9:03:14 PM

You pay 4.95/month mirroring fee, but only 4.99/month for a Tivo
subscription per account, not per DVR. You can have, for example, 4 DVRs
hooked up to the same account and only pay a total of 4.99/month for Tivo.
It costs the same for a second, third, etc. Tivo as it does for the cheap
set top box (mirroring fee only).

!