Air Cooling State of Shock

The reason I named this thread State of Shock is because that's the way I feel right now, I figure the information is worth sharing with you all so here goes.

Originally I was after a cooler to out perform my Xigmatek S-1283 HDT, the Xiggys drawbacks were the mounting hardware and the rubber isolation fan mounts, which don't last long and replacements are almost impossible to track down. I was getting great cooling performance from the Xiggy, but at a cost of lapping the base and adding an additional cooling fan by mounting the fan on a Zalman fan support bracket.

I replaced the Xiggy with a Cooler Master Hyper 212+ running 2 120mm fans in a push pull configuration, unfortunately the CMH212+ did not out perform or even equally perform as the Xiggy did, so I lapped the CMH212+ base and changed the fans to 110cfm Skythe fans, the results were disappointing, it still couldn't beat the Xiggys performance.

So I decided to jump on a big dog and bought the Noctua NH-D14, I was finally satisfied as it at least performed as well as the Xiggy, out of the box with fresh Artic Silver 5 applied, even got better after the AS5 had cured.

Now to the shock, Crazy PC has closed their doors and offered a closing sale of 50% off everything at the checkout last weekend, so actually just for the heck of it with intentions of using it on another machine I bought a Thermalright 120 Extreme, extra fan bracket, fans, additional bolt through 1156 kit, and a AM3 bolt through kit, it came with a 1366 bolt through kit.

I always wanted to snag one of the 120 extremes but they were so expensive by the time you had everything you needed it was a chunk of money, well everything was 50% off so I jumped in the pool and got one.

I received it Thursday 3/17/11 and inspected it, I was blow away by the manufacturing quality Thermalright had put into this heat sink, so today Friday, I decided to run some tests with the Noctua change the heat sink to the Thermalright and run some of the same tests, just out of curiosity.

I knew the test would not be fair as the Noctua was running fully cured AS5 and the Thermalright would be running fresh AS5, well guys here's the shock, with fresh AS5 the Thermalright 120 extreme load temperatures beat the Noctua by 2c on 1 core and 3c on the other 3 cores, same ambient room temperature, running an overclocked 2500K with a 1.328Vcore.

So the Noctua will be the heat sink cooling another machine and the Thermalright 120 Extreme is staying right where it is, when the AS5 cures out, the performance will additionally improve by about 3c to 5c, so maybe there's some information here that will help you if you're trying to decide on an air cooler.

No surprise Thermalright FTW!
Sick of seeing Noctua NH-D14 is the best on this forum.
The D14 is bested by at least three Thermalright coolers to my knowledge. SilverArrow
Archon
HR-02
So adding the 120 Extreme doesn't surprise me.
Not too mention the fact TR fans are better and cheaper.

simonyee04

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2006

I have been using 212 but I replace the heatsink compound inside the heatsink and found that green stuff actually corrosion on the copper parts.
you better to buy a fan from electronic shop relap the heatsink compound with silicon grease
and mount it up and check it
if you can and will afford it get those heatsink mounting with bottom with screw and remove the mainboard and mount it.
those will not only get you the cooling you need and want.
And please forget about overclocking because you going to wast money and time.

Congrats on the Thermalright. I had one in my hand at Microcenter a while back and passed because of the price. Wow, you have a 2500K. I built one for a friend of my son's in January. Must be good. He hasn't brought it back.

@badge Hey Roger, how've you been?

Thanks for the Congrats, the Thermalright 120 Extreme is definitely the first air cooler I've ever purchased that I had no regrets across the board and the performance is amazing.

Actually the 2500K I bought specifically to overclock, test, and write a guide for overclocking it, however Mrface a fellow moderator had the same idea but he beat me to the draw with his 2600K, and drew up a great guide, and posted it.

I threw all my past unlocked multiplier OCing knowledge into the 2500K and it performed so well it got moved to my gaming machine, at the 2500K's stock speed 3300mhz it bested my AMD 965BE scores overclocked to 4200mhz, Impressive.

Overclocked I don't even know where the top end of it is, yet, but the 2500K loves 4500mhz flat out, it's a perfect level of voltage and temperature to allow it to run all 4 cores @ 4500mhz, the performance at that level is truly amazing.

Under the heaviest load it doesn't get hot enough to Thermal Throttle down, this Sandy Bridge is truly one fantastic release from Intel.

Hope you and the family are all well! Ry

FYI; This is the overclocking section, everything in this entire THGF section is dedicated to overclocking.

4.5GHz. is impressive indeed. Please give the specs of the machine including RAM and MB. 3.3GHz downs the PII 965 at 4.2. That's buying time! ;)

We are all good here. The sister-in-law is coming in for a two week visit. Looks like she may be retiring here later this year. Yeah, moving here in our house! For good! Yikers! She an M.D. and is very particular about the way I look! I'm trying to cover up this black eye I'm dealing with. I look like a racoon. I hope I don't get put out in the cold.

I O'C my machines, but I'm not an extreme overclocker. My most recent purchase was an Intel 5700 DC to replace the e8400 in the system I use in the business office. Then I picked up an new ASUS G41 for $30 and plan to install the e8400 in there. I'm still using my AMD 754's and 939's. I have three of them running as camera servers for my three online security systems. I plan to use some of these Intel C2D C2Q systems I have when the 754/939's give out. Great to here from you Ryan. Hope you and yours are well. Summertime is drawing ever close.! ;)

i5 2500K @ 4.5ghz w Thermalright 120 Extreme w 2 Fans
ASRock P67 Extreme 4
4G 2 x 2g Kingston DDR3 2133 running @ 2133
1TB Western Digital SATA3 w Win7 Pro 64bit
1TB Western Digital SATA3 w WinXP Pro 32bit
Creative Extreme Gamer Fatal1ty Pro
EVGA Nvidia 580GTX