Trying to stripe two drives together with Win XP Pro

I'm looking into creating a software RAID 0 array using Win XP's inbuilt capabilities. Before I go out and buy a couple of new drives I've been playing around with Disk Management in the Computer Management console, just to check that I can set this up as I want. XP's Help documents tell me to right-click an unallocated space and choose "New Volume", then pick "Striped" from the New Volume Wizard, but I only get an option for "New Partition" when I right-click on a (single) test drive I've put in there for now. The New Partition Wizard doesn't seem to have an option for "Striped" anywhere I can see.

Can anyone let me know if this will change if I have more than one unallocated disk installed?

TIA.
4 answers Last reply
More about trying stripe drives
  1. I'm fairly certain that disk manager knows that there's nothing to stripe it with, so it won't give you that option.
  2. I believe you will be able to see the Striped option when there is a additional unallocated space available to Disk Manager. Since there is on the one test drive your options in the GUI are limited...
  3. Hi,

Thanks for the quick response - in the meantime I've been playing around with it, and I found out that the drive needs to be Dynamic in order to get the options I was looking for. Now I've made my single test disc Dynamic, I get the "New Volume" option I was expecting, and the "Striped" option is there, albeit greyed out since I'm only working with a single drive.

Appreciate the help!
  4. No problem. Good luck! Hope everything works out for you.
Ask a new question

Read More

NAS / RAID Windows XP Storage