Trying to stripe two drives together with Win XP Pro

raider_john

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2011
I'm looking into creating a software RAID 0 array using Win XP's inbuilt capabilities. Before I go out and buy a couple of new drives I've been playing around with Disk Management in the Computer Management console, just to check that I can set this up as I want. XP's Help documents tell me to right-click an unallocated space and choose "New Volume", then pick "Striped" from the New Volume Wizard, but I only get an option for "New Partition" when I right-click on a (single) test drive I've put in there for now. The New Partition Wizard doesn't seem to have an option for "Striped" anywhere I can see.

Can anyone let me know if this will change if I have more than one unallocated disk installed?

TIA.

I believe you will be able to see the Striped option when there is a additional unallocated space available to Disk Manager. Since there is on the one test drive your options in the GUI are limited...

raider_john

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2011
Hi,

Thanks for the quick response - in the meantime I've been playing around with it, and I found out that the drive needs to be Dynamic in order to get the options I was looking for. Now I've made my single test disc Dynamic, I get the "New Volume" option I was expecting, and the "Striped" option is there, albeit greyed out since I'm only working with a single drive.

Appreciate the help!